Mazda CX-50 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a non turbo premium plus. I'd really like to understand more about how decisions were made with the windshield wiper arm design. In order to lift the arms up, you have follow some really crazy process detailed in this youtube video. Maybe that's just a minor inconvenience for people in warm climates that only need to worry about it when they replace the blades, but for those of us in cold climates that have to scrape ice and snow off regularly this is really annoying for a mass market car.

While I'm in gripe mode, the transmission's shift points when driving between 0-35 mph are really odd. Sometimes it really hangs onto a gear, while other times it will unexpectedly down shift. Hopefully it's something that can be resolved with a software update and isn't purely mechanical (because then it's never gonna change.)

Anyone else have these issues too?

· Registered
157 Posts
I own a non turbo premium plus. I'd really like to understand more about how decisions were made with the windshield wiper arm design. In order to lift the arms up, you have follow some really crazy process detailed in this youtube video. Maybe that's just a minor inconvenience for people in warm climates that only need to worry about it when they replace the blades, but for those of us in cold climates that have to scrape ice and snow off regularly this is really annoying for a mass market car.

While I'm in gripe mode, the transmission's shift points when driving between 0-35 mph are really odd. Sometimes it really hangs onto a gear, while other times it will unexpectedly down shift. Hopefully it's something that can be resolved with a software update and isn't purely mechanical (because then it's never gonna change.)

They are not issues. That’s how the vehicle was designed.

· Registered
49 Posts
Tell me the manufacturer addressed a design flaw late in the game without telling me the manufacturer addressed a design flaw late in the game….

I can’t believe they would design it to only lift this way. I get having the option to move it to accessory mode as a convenience. That as an added option seems really cool but only allowing them to lift using this method is kinda nuts.

Glad I saw this before the next snow storm. Can’t wait to walk my wife through it. I’m sure she’ll be thrilled with the feature.

· Registered
49 Posts
I told my wife about this after I read this thread online and watched the video. I still think it’s a weird feature and she wasn’t thrilled. She’s simply changed the way she exits the car when it’s currently snowing or in the forecast. She turns it to accessory mode then exits the vehicle and lifts the wipers.

Even before this I’ve always told her she should lift the wipers when ice and snow are in the forecast and she never did. With this new routine it might increase the wiper’s lifespan because she’s actually started doing it. She’s ripped several wiper blades clean from the mount over the years prying them free of the ice.

· Registered
6 Posts
I told my wife about this after I read this thread online and watched the video. I still think it’s a weird feature and she wasn’t thrilled. She’s simply changed the way she exits the car when it’s currently snowing or in the forecast. She turns it to accessory mode then exits the vehicle and lifts the wipers.

Even before this I’ve always told her she should lift the wipers when ice and snow are in the forecast and she never did. With this new routine it might increase the wiper’s lifespan because she’s actually started doing it. She’s ripped several wiper blades clean from the mount over the years prying them free of the ice.
I used to always lift my wipers too when the weather is cold, snowy or icy, but a mechanic buddy of mine said it does more harm than good to the springs, resulting in less effective pressure on the wipers. He suggested that I just always make sure I don't leave the wipers on or in auto mode during the winter and clean the wipers myself when clearing off the vehicle. I don't know what's right, but I haven't had an issues since. I mostly find it a pain trying to clean the snow and ice from the windshield because they only lift off an inch so the snowbrush doesn't fit underneath.

· Registered
22 Posts
I love my CX-50 so far, but I've never seen a car with such a ridiculous wiper design. I like to clean my windows fully and lift the wipers and wiper off the blade when I'm tinkering in the garage. Now i have to get my keys, go in the car and go to accessory mode to lift the wipers and then do that again to put them back. So strange!

· Registered
16.5 CX-5 Touring/2023 CX-50 Turbo Premium
42 Posts

I agree with this, it's the same on Turbo version also. I am suspecting it's because of the truck like hood that Mazda decided to put onto the vehicle which makes it more difficult for someone to pull the wiper arms up normally as the hood is higher than normal. That's my only guess....

· Registered
23 Meridian in Zircon & 22 M3 in Soul
20 Posts
I love my CX-50 so far, but I've never seen a car with such a ridiculous wiper design. I like to clean my windows fully and lift the wipers and wiper off the blade when I'm tinkering in the garage. Now i have to get my keys, go in the car and go to accessory mode to lift the wipers and then do that again to put them back. So strange!
You sure are whiney about a feature that is so easy to use.
I like everything about the design, from the hidden location when the wipers are off, to the spray from the actual wipers themselves, to the so easy to use service position.
Perhaps you should embrace the technology instead of nitpicking such an irrelevant issue.

· Registered
23 Meridian in Zircon & 22 M3 in Soul
20 Posts
I see this complaint a lot from people like myself up north. While I do find it annoying, it's not unique to the CX-50. My BMW 330ix has the same exact design.
Well I am further north and like the design, so easy to use and clean snow from the wiper parked position.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts