Mazda CX-50 Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2023 CX-50 Zircon Sand/Terracotta PPT
42 Posts
I stand corrected, it looks like there is a pop-out for where the receiver sits. It pays to look a little closer, no cutting perhaps.
I just noticed that yesterday myself! Still waiting for my dealer to confirm receipt of my ordered hitch/harness.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Dealer finally got in my 7 pin harness, so I picked both that and hitch up today. Some quick notes: hitch looks easy to install, no need to drop muffler or drill or enlarge any holes--just bolt left/right attachment plates to existing holes on the vehicle, and then bolt the hitch itself to those plates. Wiring harness is a bit more complicated but installation is not too different than the Canada MZD one I used in my 2019 CX-5 (need to remove or loosen some interior trim, but doesn't appear too troublesome). You do need to drill one 20mm hole from the underside of the car but there's an existing mark there as a guide. No need to run a power wire to the engine block, but there are 2 jumper cables to connect (battery bolt to existing engine fuse wiring connector using a push-in pin). That apparently provide constant power to where the harness connects to the existing wiring in the rear. Also note that there is a Service Bulletin which has corrections to the harness instructions--that was not included in the harness package itself and it was still the original incorrect instructions, but I had seen that previously and saved from the subscription Mazda Service site a while back. I think it was with the other existing TSBs, which mostly related to accessory installation corrections.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Dealer finally got in my 7 pin harness, so I picked both that and hitch up today. Some quick notes: hitch looks easy to install, no need to drop muffler or drill or enlarge any holes--just bolt left/right attachment plates to existing holes on the vehicle, and then bolt the hitch itself to those plates. Wiring harness is a bit more complicated but installation is not too different than the Canada MZD one I used in my 2019 CX-5 (need to remove or loosen some interior trim, but doesn't appear too troublesome). You do need to drill one 20mm hole from the underside of the car but there's an existing mark there as a guide. No need to run a power wire to the engine block, but there are 2 jumper cables to connect (battery bolt to existing engine fuse wiring connector using a push-in pin). That apparently provide constant power to where the harness connects to the existing wiring in the rear. Also note that there is a Service Bulletin which has corrections to the harness instructions--that was not included in the harness package itself and it was still the original incorrect instructions, but I had seen that previously and saved from the subscription Mazda Service site a while back. I think it was with the other existing TSBs, which mostly related to accessory installation corrections.
Thanks for the info LeeShadow, can you point me to corrected instructions or do I understand that those instructions are only available with a subscription? Enjoy the hitch! My CX-50 should now be arriving by the 22nd. It was delayed 3+ weeks for some reason.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This hasn't been updated in a while. Curtis has an aftermarket for the cx 50 now. No harness yet but hey it's a start.
Good catch! Appears to use exactly the same primary mount points as the OEM, unsurprisingly. Positive with the aftermarket Curt is that it is a single piece, while the Mazda version has separate mounting plates which bolt onto the hitch itself (more spots to potentially loosen). I'll be curious to see installation instructions--I guess it will require the reinstallation of the factory plastic bumper reinforcement piece. That's removed with the OEM hitch and not used, as the hitch itself has aligned bracket arms where the underside of the bumper clips into. It actually ends up being more sturdy than the reinforcement insert.

The OEM harness is made by Curt (labeling shows such) so I would assume an aftermarket one from them must be coming soon.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts