Mazda CX-50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a deposit on a Polymetal Gray Turbo Premium and will hopefully receive that vehicle in the next 6 weeks. I understand that the Mazda trailer hitch is not yet available. Has anyone heard timing on availability of the accessory trailer hitch Or any aftermarket hitch options?

·
Registered
2023 CX-50 Zircon Sand/Terracotta PPT
85 Posts
I'm in a similar place as you. My dealer showed me yesterday an accessories list with part #s which shows hitch & harness with early May availability, and is confirming actual status for me as I want to roll the cost of the hitch into my overall purchase. As you likely already know, the hitch and harness have separate part #'s, and there are two harnesses, one a 4-pin and then a 7-pin for turbo models.

I also noticed this Canadian Mazda dealer I've purchased from in the past seems to be showing these as available to purchase, and CAN part #s match the US ones.

Trailer Hitch - 2" Receiver & Harness | Mazda CX-50 (2023)

I've seen elsewhere that none of the usual aftermarket hitch companies (Curtis, Drawtite, etc) have anything official for the CX-50 yet since it is brand new model. I also read that one of them stated it would probably not be until 2023 at the earliest something would be offered (but obviously someone makes this hitch for Mazda, and pretty sure it is one of those usual players).

And while the CX-50 is based on the CX-30/M3 platform, I don't yet know if the hitch attachment points & placement are identical--I'd suspect not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a deposit on a Polymetal Gray Turbo Premium and will hopefully receive that vehicle in the next 6 weeks. I understand that the Mazda trailer hitch is not yet available. Has anyone heard timing on availability of the accessory trailer hitch Or any aftermarket hitch options?
Hitch is currently available to order from dealership. No AM availability yet. Give it 6 to 9 months for AM parts to show up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in a similar place as you. My dealer showed me yesterday an accessories list with part #s which shows hitch & harness with early May availability, and is confirming actual status for me as I want to roll the cost of the hitch into my overall purchase. As you likely already know, the hitch and harness have separate part #'s, and there are two harnesses, one a 4-pin and then a 7-pin for turbo models.

I also noticed this Canadian Mazda dealer I've purchased from in the past seems to be showing these as available to purchase, and CAN part #s match the US ones.

Trailer Hitch - 2" Receiver & Harness | Mazda CX-50 (2023)

I've seen elsewhere that none of the usual aftermarket hitch companies (Curtis, Drawtite, etc) have anything official for the CX-50 yet since it is brand new model. I also read that one of them stated it would probably not be until 2023 at the earliest something would be offered (but obviously someone makes this hitch for Mazda, and pretty sure it is one of those usual players).

And while the CX-50 is based on the CX-30/M3 platform, I don't yet know if the hitch attachment points & placement are identical--I'd suspect not.
Too bad the Mazda one is so pricey!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I bit the bullet since ETA for aftermarket versions is unknown and rolled the cost of the Mazda hitch and harness into my weekend CX-50 purchase. Got a nice deal on the hitch price (US MSRP is MUCH lower than the Canadian pricing, much lower than a direct currency conversion). Parts should be at dealer Wed or Thu of the upcoming week. The quoted installation fee wasn't ridiculous, but is high enough (min install hours 🤨 come into play) that I am going to see if I can find a reputable local installer who will do it for less. On the other hand, dealer installation means if something goes wrong they would be responsible for any fixes/repairs. I installed the Drawtite hitch on my CX-5 and while it was not terribly difficult, it was definitely a 2 person job and there was only me. There were/are also a lot of very detailed how-to videos etc out there for installing hitches on CX-5, unlike the 50 at this time.

·
Registered
85 Posts
So did you go ahead and get it from the Canadian dealer or was your local dealer able to get it? Still around $800?
Ordered the US version via my local dealer. The part #s are different but no idea if the same or different products. I know the Canadian wiring harness I bought and installed for my previous CX-5 was a different product from the US version (the CAN one was plug & play; the US harness required splicing). The US MSRP for the hitch + harness is $560 and the Dealer Invoice Price is $448 based upon the CX-50 Spec Deck. I paid about $395. Of course that's still more expensive than comparable aftermarket hitches--for example, the Drawtite I put on my CX-5 was only about $150. But at this time, there aren't any non-OEM hitches available, and I require one more immediately for my bike rack.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ordered the US version via my local dealer. The part #s are different but no idea if the same or different products. I know the Canadian wiring harness I bought and installed for my previous CX-5 was a different product from the US version (the CAN one was plug & play; the US harness required splicing). The US MSRP for the hitch + harness is $560 and the Dealer Invoice Price is $448 based upon the CX-50 Spec Deck. I paid about $395. Of course that's still more expensive than comparable aftermarket hitches--for example, the Drawtite I put on my CX-5 was only about $150. But at this time, there aren't any non-OEM hitches available, and I require one more immediately for my bike rack.
Oh wow... that's not nearly as bad as I thought. Can you send me the product number of what you got? I'd pay for that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Apologies, just was reminded that the US and Canada part #'s are the same--was confused and thinking of my CX-5 scenario.

CX-50
Hitch: VA40-V3-920
7 pin Wiring Harness: VA41-V7-780

Definitely shop around as I am now seeing US online pricing for that hitch of about $329 + shipping and the harness ~$171-$188.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Apologies, just was reminded that the US and Canada part #'s are the same--was confused and thinking of my CX-5 scenario.

CX-50
Hitch: VA40-V3-920
7 pin Wiring Harness: VA41-V7-780

Definitely shop around as I am now seeing US online pricing for that hitch of about $329 + shipping and the harness ~$171-$188.
May I ask where you're seeing it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will probably have the dealer do the installation. It will be probably 4 weeks before the vehicle arrives. I just thought I would insure that the hitch was available when needed.

Thanks for the information on the need to cut out the lower bumper. I wonder if there is an accessory trim panel available to provide a finished look around the hitch rather than a raw cut?

·
Registered
2023 CX-50 2.5 Turbo Premium Plus
97 Posts
I will probably have the dealer do the installation. It will be probably 4 weeks before the vehicle arrives. I just thought I would insure that the hitch was available when needed.

Thanks for the information on the need to cut out the lower bumper. I wonder if there is an accessory trim panel available to provide a finished look around the hitch rather than a raw cut?
I stand corrected, it looks like there is a pop-out for where the receiver sits. It pays to look a little closer, no cutting perhaps.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts