Mazda CX-50 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an appointment next Tuesday to check this out.
Not sure how long this has been happening bc today is the first time driving with windows down..
The sound is centered..sounds the same from drivers/passenger seats. Kinda of a creaky metallic sound not super loud but definitely there..like a row of nails in a section of tire as it rolls. Hard to hear above 10 mph. But below that especially driving by a wall ill hear it even below 1 mph. Now thats it on my radar i can barely hear it from inside the car with everything off and driving slow.
Tires check clear. Brake rotors have no unusual marks. ..car has power accelerates good no shifting issues..
Im worried it could be the rear differential.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have an appointment next Tuesday to check this out.
Not sure how long this has been happening bc today is the first time driving with windows down..
The sound is centered..sounds the same from drivers/passenger seats. Kinda of a creaky metallic sound not super loud but definitely there..like a row of nails in a section of tire as it rolls. Hard to hear above 10 mph. But below that especially driving by a wall ill hear it even below 1 mph. Now thats it on my radar i can barely hear it from inside the car with everything off and driving slow.
Tires check clear. Brake rotors have no unusual marks. ..car has power accelerates good no shifting issues..
Im worried it could be the rear differential.
Does the sound increase/decrease with speed changes?

I had a little bit of a creaking noise at first, but it was just the foam around the spare tire not sat in correctly after the hitch was installed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Above 10 mph it disappears it seems or the sound just blends in. Below 10 is when i hear it..if im coasting down a hill at 1 mph it makes the same sound just in slower motion..again like a row of nails in a section of tire. Sometimes its much more noticeable sometimes not as much. It's really strange actually..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Above 10 mph it disappears it seems or the sound just blends in. Below 10 is when i hear it..if im coasting down a hill at 1 mph it makes the same sound just in slower motion..again like a row of nails in a section of tire. Sometimes its much more noticeable sometimes not as much. It's really strange actually..
It could be a faulty tire. It may not look like there is an issue but an imperfection is causing you to hear it.

I would be surprised if it was a hub or differential as the noise would typical be heard at higher speed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just had a thought. There are no labels hanging off the drive shafts right?

·
Registered
2023 CX-50 Zircon Sand/Terracotta PPT
84 Posts
It doesn't sound like bearing noise, but just in case there's any relevance, there's a TSB for our vehicles warning dealers about not mistaking it for other factors:

"SA-006-22 Summary: There have been warranty claims submitted for growling or bearing whine noise in differentials, transfer units and transmissions where the source of the noise was a wheel bearing. This misdiagnosis can lead to multiple repair attempts, warranty debits, and additional inconvenience and/or cost to the customer. To reduce the chance of this occurring, please follow the steps outlined in the repair procedure."

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So i went for a drive and drove the shits out this car. Letting it shift in sport D mode. Taking clover leafs testing my tires. Actually trying to break this suv. First, the sound wasn't there anymore after 45 minutes which is bizarre but good news. Second i can say the new tires are a very nice upgrade. My old Audi i could hit 60 on a certain clover leaf..i was doing the same in this SUV! Its so flat and likes mid corner throttle..
Im still puzzled by this. Didn't do the dealer visit because the sound is gone. Im pretty mechanical and was certain on this but seems i completely wrong. In a good way 👍😎

1 - 7 of 7 Posts