Mazda CX-50 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2023 Mazda CX-50 Turbo Premium Plus (PolyMetal)
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Turbo Premium Plus just started making a squeaky noise from the center area of the steering wheel. I have about 2,800 miles on my car and it just started making the noise last week. It sounds like two pieces of rubber rubbing up against each other and making an annoying little squeaking sound.....kinda like a squeegee wiping windex off a window. It only happens when the wheel is on-center. It's been consistently making this sound for a week now. Anyone else experienced this?

· Registered
2014 & 2019 CX-5, 2023 CX-50 TPP
76 Posts
Not personally, but I've seen a couple of other similar posts. I suggest you give is a short squirt of silicone lubricant spray in the gap between the wheel and the column, otherwise go back to the dealer.

· Registered
2023 Mazda CX-50 Turbo Premium Plus (PolyMetal)
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I started experiencing the same squeaking sound from the steering wheel a few days ago. It only seems to happen in freezing temperatures.
Yes, mine only started making the noise a week ago when the temperature dropped to low 30’s in the morning. However, it now consistently makes that noise even when it’s warmer in the middle of the day.

· Registered
16.5 CX-5 Touring/2023 CX-50 Turbo Premium
42 Posts
I started experiencing this issue today with the temps around 22 f. It happens when the steering wheel is turned to the left and at low speeds (<30 mph) on uneven pavement. I thought it was my phone holder at first but it turns out it's definitely the steering wheel.

· Registered
1 Posts
Same here, it started happening after a trip to Idyllwild with low temperature. It’s a squeaking sound from the steering wheel and only happens when turning left. Anyone heard back from the dealership?

· Registered
42 Posts
Same here, it started happening after a trip to Idyllwild with low temperature. It’s a squeaking sound from the steering wheel and only happens when turning left. Anyone heard back from the dealership?
I brought my car to the dealership and unfortunately, they weren't able to replicate the issue (as expected). I reached out to Mazda and one of the senior techs replied and mentioned something something about the turn signal cancellation that needs to be lubricated. My suggestion would be to to get a bottle of WD-40 or some other type of lubricant and doing it yourself to see if the issue goes away with the squeaking/stiffness when turning left as you would save yourself the trip/hassle of waiting for a few hours.

· Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue with mine. Started happening when the temperatures dropped (for reference, I'm in GA) and only happens when turning the wheel to the left at a semi-slow speed. The other day, it started making that scratching noise badly and finally got a video of it so I can show the dealership. Please let me know if any of you took it to the dealer and if the problem was resolved!

· Registered
42 Posts
@Digbicks1234 , where exactly would you apply the lubricant?
I wish I could give you a better answer on this but unfortunately, I was not able to test this out as I traded in my CX-50.

I am having the same issue with mine. Started happening when the temperatures dropped (for reference, I'm in GA) and only happens when turning the wheel to the left at a semi-slow speed. The other day, it started making that scratching noise badly and finally got a video of it so I can show the dealership. Please let me know if any of you took it to the dealer and if the problem was resolved!
Yep, I had that same issue on low speeds, turning to the left encountered a lot of resistance even during highways and following curves. Dealerships don't typically tend to find issues unless it can be replicated on the spot but definitely have it escalated and taken care of as it can a safety issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts