Mazda CX-50 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on my Premium Plus, when I go to lock the car, the side mirrors are supposed to fold. I left Nashville to drive out west for the holidays, and driving through Missouri, the mirrors got stuck. I was able to get them unstuck so they were usable, but now they don’t fold in anymore when the car locks .

In addition, the Blind Spot Monitoring, namely on the passenger side, is not as responsive as it should be for a car with less than 2k in mileage. It’d be easy to say, “Oh, you broke it” when I fixed the mirrors, but they were already malfunctioning due to the extreme cold.

Any thoughts?

· Registered
CX-50 Turbo Premium Plus
134 Posts
Do they fold when you press the button?
There’s a chance you broke a connection or messed up the motor when you forced them open.
It’s also possible that opening the mirrors may have triggered a change to the settings. So I would also check in the infotainment to see if the auto fold is still selected.
In any case, if they are not working and you tell your dealer that story, I guarantee you the phrase they will say is “outside influence. They will not cover it under warranty.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do they fold when you press the button?
There’s a chance you broke a connection or messed up the motor when you forced them open.
It’s also possible that opening the mirrors may have triggered a change to the settings. So I would also check in the infotainment to see if the auto fold is still selected.
In any case, if they are not working and you tell your dealer that story, I guarantee you the phrase they will say is “outside influence. They will not cover it under warranty.
Thanks for the reply.

The only reason I don't suspect I broke something is due to the fact the mirrors are designed to fold in and out manually (even the manual itself says this)). I also didn't tug on them forcefully, so I'd be surprised if anything actually broke. If it becomes the case something did break, it was a really cheaply made part for a near $40k vehicle.

The mirrors still operate otherwise normally, with the Blind Spot system detecting better on the drivers side so the electronics still work. I'll take a look at the Infotainment system since I haven't checked there yet.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply.

The only reason I don't suspect I broke something is due to the fact the mirrors are designed to fold in and out manually (even the manual itself says this)). I also didn't tug on them forcefully, so I'd be surprised if anything actually broke. If it becomes the case something did break, it was a really cheaply made part for a near $40k vehicle.

The mirrors still operate otherwise normally, with the Blind Spot system detecting better on the drivers side so the electronics still work. I'll take a look at the Infotainment system since I haven't checked there yet.
So I saw this in the manual that might explain it,

"The outside mirrors may not fold in and out automatically under cold weather conditions." When the mirrors operate normally, its not the kind of temps it was when they didn't work automatically.

· Registered
16.5 CX-5 Touring/2023 CX-50 Turbo Premium
42 Posts
So on my Premium Plus, when I go to lock the car, the side mirrors are supposed to fold. I left Nashville to drive out west for the holidays, and driving through Missouri, the mirrors got stuck. I was able to get them unstuck so they were usable, but now they don’t fold in anymore when the car locks .

In addition, the Blind Spot Monitoring, namely on the passenger side, is not as responsive as it should be for a car with less than 2k in mileage. It’d be easy to say, “Oh, you broke it” when I fixed the mirrors, but they were already malfunctioning due to the extreme cold.

Any thoughts?
Check to see if there's ice built up in the folding area where the mirrors rotate. I had the issue where they wouldn't fold as well and I had to apply some light pressure on the mirror so that the motor could retract/fold outwards because the ice was causing it to be stuck in place even though one of the folding functions was supposed to initiate.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check to see if there's ice built up in the folding area where the mirrors rotate. I had the issue where they wouldn't fold as well and I had to apply some light pressure on the mirror so that the motor could retract/fold outwards because the ice was causing it to be stuck in place even though one of the folding functions was supposed to initiate.
I seem to have been able to get them to work once I reset the function in the Infotainment screen. I'm thinking the abnormally cold winter temps were part of it.

· Registered
2 Posts

Any thoughts?
Happened to me once. I simply manually moved mirror to correct position. no more problems

· Registered
5 Posts
I went on vacation for 10 days and came back to 20 degrees weather. The first time I drove it upon return the passenger side mirror would not fold out upon being unlocked. But the next day it worked just fine as normal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts