Mazda CX-50 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow members:
I have only had my CX50 for the past few days.
On two occasions the button inside the car would not open the tailgate. I would then get out and push the button on the tailgate itself and still, it would not open. Then I would shut the car off and turn it back on and still no luck. I would then use the Mazda key (is it a FOB?) and I believe that is when it would open.

I looked at the digital manual, and there is a battery specifically for the tailgate and could be a low battery. I am thinking a low battery on a new car is not the case.

Are there any safety reasons the powered tailgate will not operate when the car is started and parked? Hope its something simple stupid I am doing wrong.

Thanks!
Craig

·
Registered
2023 CX-50 Zircon Sand/Terracotta PPT
96 Posts
The power liftgate will only open from the inside button under certain conditions, and those are specified in the manual including some less common scenarios where it won't open (incline, snow accumulation and strong wind). The one that catches me all the time is that all doors must be unlocked--I'll pull into my garage say after food shopping, shut off the car and open the driver's door, and push the button...nothing. I then mentally "grrrr" and hit unlock and then hold the liftgate button again. I always feel particularly stupid because my last CX-5 was the same and yet I continue to make that mistake....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The power liftgate will only open from the inside button under certain conditions, and those are specified in the manual including some less common scenarios where it won't open (incline, snow accumulation and strong wind). The one that catches me all the time is that all doors must be unlocked--I'll pull into my garage say after food shopping, shut off the car and open the driver's door, and push the button...nothing. I then mentally "grrrr" and hit unlock and then hold the liftgate button again. I always feel particularly stupid because my last CX-5 was the same and yet I continue to make that mistake....
Interesting Lee....I will keep that in mind the next time this happens. Thanks
PS- I am going to test the crossbars today and install my bike racks. Who knows, maybe the howling whirling noise lessens?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another tailgate question: I just surfed the Mazda website trying to find out if the powered tailgate had the "kick" version. For example, as you approach the CX50 with bags one would wave their foot under the rear bumper to open the tailgate. Makes no sense to me because isn't that the point of a powered tailgate?

I have the Premium Plus non-turbo......could be only available on the turbo?

Love this new CX50!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ANSWER: I looked at the digital Owners Manual under the tailgate section. I guess no "kicker" available for the CX50. I am 99% other Mazda models have this feature.
However, I did learn from the manual the tailgate does have sensors. I assume the tailgate would stop if the sensor recognizes an object in the path of the tailgate.

·
Registered
2023 CX-50 Zircon Sand/Terracotta PPT
96 Posts
Looks like only the US model with hands-free foot activated liftgate is at least some trims of the CX-9. The Australian market CX-5 and the new CX-60 there also have it (unsure about the other CX-60 markets, which doesn't include North America).

No idea about their reliability or how complicated the install, but there seem to be aftermarket accessories to add the feature as long as the vehicle has a powered liftgate and a smart keyfob.

I personally don't miss the feature, as generally if I'm carrying a couple bags I can easily hit the open button on the back of the car while still holding the bags. If I'm carrying more, the bags would be in a cart and I'd hit the button before grabbing any and the same with any larger objects to be put back there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like only the US model with hands-free foot activated liftgate is at least some trims of the CX-9. The Australian market CX-5 and the new CX-60 there also have it (unsure about the other CX-60 markets, which doesn't include North America).

No idea about their reliability or how complicated the install, but there seems to be aftermarket accessories to add the feature as long as the vehicle has a powered liftgate and a smart keyfob.

I personally don't miss the feature, as generally if I'm carrying a couple bags I can easily hit the open button on the back of the car while still holding the bags. If I'm carrying more, the bags would be in a cart and I'd hit the button before grabbing any and the same with any larger objects to be put back there.
Agree.....I can manage. Just would have been nice. Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts