Mazda CX-50 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2023 CX-50 Zircon Sand/Terracotta PPT
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy, everyone. The CX-50 is the 6th Mazda I've purchased. Moved from a 2019 CX-5 Signature primarily for the greater towing capacity as I'm looking to purchase a small teardrop camper in the next year. Early impressions: while same engine as CX-5, different programming results in what seems to be a more smooth but still powerful acceleration in regular mode. Road noise is higher than the CX-5 as the 50 to my understanding doesn't have double paned glass, but it isn't terrible. The small amount of extra interior space over the CX-5 seems bigger than it is both visually and physically in the front, rear and cargo areas. Panoramic roof really makes the back seat feel more open and comfortable. Better forward visibility with the wider windshield/lower hoodline. Seats are firm but for me comfortably so. Wireless CarPlay works flawlessly for me. Had to switch to a more narrow case for my iPhone 12 Pro Max as the existing bulkier one prevented proper alignment with the wireless charging pad--it now works perfectly. Minor personal quibbles: center console storage is just a big open space without any tray. Hopefully aftermarket comes up with a drop in tray solution, as there are no rails or inner edges for one to sit on, just the top edge. While the move of the rear USB and seat heater controls to the back of the center console is great, I'm not a fan of the horizontal pull strap design on the rear center cupholder arm. It looks like it is meant to slip something into it. Having something is better than my CX-5 which had nothing to pull on, but would much prefer a simple pull tab at the top. I also miss having front & rear footwell lighting that was present in my 2019 CX-5. Favorite design element: the front end, both from straight on but in particular from a slightly back angled side view. Looks amazingly aggressive.

· Registered
23 CX50 2.5TP / 98 Pajero NL
19 Posts
I didn't even know these were a thing two weeks ago. Now we have one, too. ZSM/T.

Wheel Tire Car Sky Land vehicle

26-year Mitsubishi diehard. I consider it my wife's car. We sold her Juke to a friend and I had an entire week of thoughtful test drives planned.

First dealer had the one we wanted--until we got there. It had just sold an hour prior. Maybe it had. Maybe it hadn't. All I knew, sitting in the back seat of a 2.5P, was that my queen wanted the turbo and she would have one.

We'd been through this before. She wanted the Juke. We got a big song about the tsunami and factory closures. (Blatant BS) And then bought the exact Juke we test drove from another dealership I found through TrueCar.

(I am not affiliated. Just mentioned.)

So I hit TrueCar again while my wife was driving a 2.5PP in the white over gray. Immediately, my phone blew up with texts and calls and emails and voicemails from at least four Mazda dealers. One of them cut through the noise with a personalized text message, followed by pictures of our 2.5TP in ZSM/T. Still had the plastic on it. Pending PDI.

We drove an hour across town in rush hour traffic and met Chad at Horne Mazda, who immediately walked us out back to see the car. It had 5 miles on it, and we couldn't drive it because it was disabled for PDI liability reasons. Did the deal on the spot.

Paid the market adjustment, too. Fast, right, cheap--pick any two, right? We're moving out of state in three weeks and had about a two week window to get new wheels. If we'd had all summer, we'd have waited, but we don't and we're fortunate to be in a position where it wouldn't be that bad.

We didn't pay the full market adjustment, but we also got more than a few hookups in the trunk on the way out.

I love this thing.

· Registered
6 Posts
Congrats @Chuck50! That's a great-looking driveway.

These have to be two of the best pieces of advice I've seen on the forum:

All I knew, sitting in the back seat of a 2.5P, was that my queen wanted the turbo and she would have one.
Fast, right, cheap--pick any two, right?
Let us know how the week of testing goes!

· Registered
23 CX50 2.5TP / 98 Pajero NL
19 Posts
Let us know how the week of testing goes!
That's the thing! We didn't test drive anything else. On paper, the CX-50 was the most powerful, most competent, most real-world capable vehicle in the list. It's got a HP-to-weight ratio almost as good as the Juke it replaced. We were also considering the Outlander PHEV, an XC40 T5 AWD, and maybe a Forester Wilderness for good measure. Aside from a week with the Outlander (courtesy of Mitsubishi back in March), we tried nothing else. It was head over heels, love at first sight.

Chuck had 5.0 miles when delivered to the dealer. 6.8 miles when we picked up two days later. And is now sitting somewhere north of 250 miles. (That first tank of fuel was fun.)

Learning lots about these cars. So cool.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.