Mazda CX-50 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2023 Mazda CX-50 Turbo Premium Plus
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a flush 12V to USB C adapter, a dashboard mount, but mounted it under the 12 Volt. Works great, iPhone 13 Pro Max sits facing up a bit behind the drinks. Looks flush when the phone is in there.

I have a very small USB C to USB C that should be here tomorrow. I tested with a long cable and it works great. No more fussing with that freaking wireless pad.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought a flush 12V to USB C adapter, a dashboard mount, but mounted it under the 12 Volt. Works great, iPhone 13 Pro Max sits facing up a bit behind the drinks. Looks flush when the phone is in there.

I have a very small USB C to USB C that should be here tomorrow. I tested with a long cable and it works great. No more fussing with that freaking wireless pad.
Can you provide the link to the magsafe charger you got? Are you securing it with double sided tape?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you provide the link to the magsafe charger you got? Are you securing it with double sided tape?
Sure...

It came with 3M on the back of it. I used the dashboard mount and mounted it on the flat slant under the 12V plug.

These are the three pieces...

Cables... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0732QY5DG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can wrap the excess in circles behind he magsafe mount and make this virtually invisible.

Charger...
Mounts almost flush, 2 USB-C outputs.

Magsafe Mount...
*I don't think they paid the fee to be 'official' magsafe. This thing charges my phone far faster than I use it, so I'm good with that. The included 3M tape (preattached) on the dashboard mount holds well in the area below the 12 volt.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you!
You are very welcome. I almost did that in the beginning, but I'm new around here and didn't know if links were okay. It actually looks really neat when My iPhone 13 Pro Max is on it horizontally. It doesn't get in the way of the cup holders at all.

I start the car and go straight into CarPlay.

·
Registered
33 Posts
yeah, looks good and functional.

The fact that the stock wireless charger is so useless really pisses me off. I don't understand how it made it through Mazda's R&D department. I can't usually get more than a couple minutes of charging done before it starts blinking red. And from reading around it's definitely not an isolated incident.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, looks good and functional.

The fact that the stock wireless charger is so useless really pisses me off. I don't understand how it made it through Mazda's R&D department. I can't usually get more than a couple minutes of charging done before it starts blinking red. And from reading around it's definitely not an isolated incident.
I have a semi theory about this... Camera bumps. From the get go, wireless charging is very inefficient and requires direct contact to the 'sweet spot' to charge. Any modern phone, where charging has to go through a case that evens the phone to the camera bumps creates distance.

If the phone isn't lined up and is too far away, both get hot (lost energy), then the pad overheats.

While I will agree that Apple sometimes makes standards for 'lock in', MagSafe on the phone solved a real deal problem, as you know the alignment is always perfect.

That is why I like this solution... No guessing. It was cheap to fix, so I'm not too upset about it. I'll had that the Kia Sorento X-Line that I traded in for the Mazda had the same issue. The only difference was with the Kia, if you took time to carefully align the phone, it would work, but a hard brake would knock it back off.

The proper car solution to this would be to offer interchangeable wireless attachments to a charger, one for MagSafe and another for the spec standard of Qi, which Android uses. That little charger I bought comes with a ring you can put on an Android phones sweet spot and it will magnetically charge one of them too.

Versatile for the money.

Back in the wired CarPlay days, I always wondered why carmakers didn't just put a molded lightening charger to slot your phone into, so you were not running cables. I guess it's low priority to them.

I really enjoy the wireless CarPlay on the CX-50, I've never had that. I use it a lot more now!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts