Mazda CX-50 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've noticed a couple rattles in the following areas and wanted to see if you experienced them and know where they could be coming from:

1) driver door panel - dealership duplicated the rattle, took door panel off, nothing out of the ordinary, put panel back on, so far so good but only time will tell
2) somewhere in the middle console/climate control area - pretty annoying, first thought it could be water bottles in the cupholder but its not, I believe from the climate control area but I am having a hard time finding

Also, my steering wheel is deteriorating on the connections, where each "side" of the wheel connects around, like wrinkling. Mazda dealer said normal but I highly doubt that. Anyone else experience these?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not saying it's the culprit, but if you are using hand sanitizer and touch your wheel right after putting it on, it will deteriorate your leather over time.
I was thinking that as well, but it started happening almost immediately from delivery, around mile 100. I just brought it up to the dealer at first oil change and they said it was normal

· Registered
2023 CX-50 2.5 Turbo Premium Plus
156 Posts
I was thinking that as well, but it started happening almost immediately from delivery, around mile 100. I just brought it up to the dealer at first oil change and they said it was normal
I have almost 7200 miles on mine. Daily driving for 8 months and my steering wheel looks nearly identical to yours, minus a few wrinkles. My advice, enjoy the car and don't look so hard for minor non-performance or non-safety-related differences. If you keep going down this road, you will undoubtedly find something minor like this and start listening to people on forums that will make you feel like you made a bad decision. You did not!

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Leather steering wheels will have this happen from time to time. It’s no big deal. Now, if it starts to separate, that’s another issue.
Leather Wheels should not do this in such a short amount of time. I have never seen a leather wheel do this at all, actually, and almost all of my cars have had leather wheels, just sad that in 100 miles it started happening with this Mazda. In addition to all the other quality issues I have been seeing, its just disappointing, especially for my first new car purchase, so it is a big deal to me.

· Registered
40 Posts
Yeah great advice. Accept the flaw with the steering wheel and just live with it. When it separates and becomes a bigger issue then you can pay for it out of warranty. People seems to just be accepting this cars flaws now and living with them. It's a brand new car. Bring it back to Mazda and have them fix it!

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah great advice. Accept the flaw with the steering wheel and just live with it. When it separates and becomes a bigger issue then you can pay for it out of warranty. People seems to just be accepting this cars flaws now and living with them. It's a brand new car. Bring it back to Mazda and have them fix it!
Absolutely agree. There are some flaws and I'm sorry, if I'm buying a brand new car, I expect things to be fixed if needed.

· Registered
73 Posts
I would agree that an issue like this that you should have a dealer look at it and then escalate if you’re not happy with the resolution. There does seem to be a visible difference between your wheel and most others and you should expect yours to look like most new cars.
I just wouldn’t take the advice of some on this board that you should walk away from the car and drop a flaming bag of dog poop on Mazda’s doorstep over something like this. Every car has its issues and it’s up to each driver to priorit what’s s non-issue, what’s a minor issue, and all the way up to what’s a deal breaker.
I once had a really great car that suffered from lots of mechanicals issues. It had $60k worth of warranty work done in the first three years of ownership. But I absolutely loved the performance of the car and I couldn’t replicate it for the same money so I considered it a right of passage of sorts.
I love my CX-50 and I think it’s the perfect car for me. I know there will be some issues.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
People, leather wrinkles. This is a wrinkle, not a separation. Take it to a different dealer and see what they do for you. But, once again, it is not uncommon for leather on a steering wheel to wrinkle.
uncommon in 100 miles, for sure. If it were 10k+ or whatever then yes, leather wrinkles. But basically from factory, no shouldn't be like this. This is more of a QC issue than a common issue since it was so early on in the life of the car. Speaking of others with leather wrapped wheels from Mazda, seems I got a bad one or the quality isn't as good as other cars, but nonetheless, its still a brand new car and it is completely unacceptable to experience any wrinkles on a 100 mile car. And eventually, it could separate, especially if its progressively getting worse, as in this case.

· Registered
157 Posts
uncommon in 100 miles, for sure. If it were 10k+ or whatever then yes, leather wrinkles. But basically from factory, no shouldn't be like this. This is more of a QC issue than a common issue since it was so early on in the life of the car. Speaking of others with leather wrapped wheels from Mazda, seems I got a bad one or the quality isn't as good as other cars, but nonetheless, its still a brand new car and it is completely unacceptable to experience any wrinkles on a 100 mile car. And eventually, it could separate, especially if its progressively getting worse, as in this case.
All you can do is take it to another dealer and see what they say. With this being said, of the many Mazdas I have own, their steering wheels have always been of the highest quality when compared to other manufacturers. Especially domestic brands.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Regarding no.2, see my no.4 here. I don't think mine rattles in the area you mentioned. However, I was told by someone in the passenger seat that they seem to hear it coming from the area you mentioned.
The door rattle was taken care of, dealer took panel off and put back on, nothing was visibly wrong. Rattle went away, my thoughts that a clip was loose from factory. But there is a new rattle, coming from the dash, more specifically the infotainment screen area. If I hold the top of the screen down, it doesn't rattle. It's rather annoying.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts