Mazda CX-50 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen posts from other Mazda forums that some Mazda 2.5L turbo engines (particularly 2021 models) are developing low engine oil issue at low mileage. Since CX50 uses same engine for their turbo trims has any CX50 owners experiencing this issue with their car? As CX50 is such a brand new model probably not but have seen several CX30 and CX5 owners with this issue. It seems like this is only affecting their turbo engine and Mazda has a TSB for it but there is no real fix available at this point other than just adding oil to bring back up the level.

·
Registered
2023 CX-50 Zircon Sand/Terracotta PPT
96 Posts
No issues with oil burning, but still relatively low mileage. My 2019 CX-5 Signature turbo never exhibited any low oil issues in the entire time I owned it, but that seems to be earlier than the assumed window for the issue. Looks like the associated Mazda TSB suggests that the issue started after they modified the valve stem seal design and only for certain 2021 vehicles. No idea if they did any further tinkering to that or if the CX-50 has the same valve seals that apparently are associated with the oil loss. I'm seeing some anecdotal comments online that Mazda did make another valve stem change and vehicles manufactured after Sep 2021 supposedly addressed the issue. I guess time will tell for me, but not terribly worried.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No issues with oil burning, but still relatively low mileage. My 2019 CX-5 Signature turbo never exhibited any low oil issues in the entire time I owned it, but that seems to be earlier than the assumed window for the issue. Looks like the associated Mazda TSB suggests that the issue started after they modified the valve stem seal design and only for certain 2021 vehicles. No idea if they did any further tinkering to that or if the CX-50 has the same valve seals that apparently are associated with the oil loss. I'm seeing some anecdotal comments online that Mazda did make another valve stem change and vehicles manufactured after Sep 2021 supposedly addressed the issue. I guess time will tell for me, but not terribly worried.
Good to know and thank you. Hope that the redesign of valve stem change resolved the issue for future models. Looking to get a non turbo trim CX 50, but wasn’t sure the naturally aspirated version is affected by this issue as well. My understanding is that Mazda‘s engines are proven to be very reliable and trouble free over the last several years.

·
Registered
2023 CX-50 Zircon Sand/Terracotta PPT
96 Posts
Not the same engines of course, but I've owned 5 Mazdas since 2001 (2001 Miata, 2006 Miata, 2010 6, 2016 & 2019 CX-5) and never had a significant issue with any of them. My other half had a 2012 3 until late last year and the only issue was a warped dash piece that Mazda replaced for free 6 years into owning it. The reliability is one reason why I keep coming back. I realize that there were well-documented and very real issues with certain other vehicles and model years, but that's true of any car company.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine is 1 months old, 5000 miles, 703.1 engine hours on it as of 9pm yesterday. The thing is still running right now the second shift driver is driving the car up and down the highway delivering stuff . No oil burn at all. Maybe it doesn’t burn oil when the car is warmed up? My car never got a chance to cool down.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Good to know and thank you. Hope that the redesign of valve stem change resolved the issue for future models. Looking to get a non turbo trim CX 50, but wasn’t sure the naturally aspirated version is affected by this issue as well. My understanding is that Mazda‘s engines are proven to be very reliable and trouble free over the last several years.
Reliability on the turbo is awesome. 700+ hours on mine already. No issue. The 2019 beater camry we had before broke at 500 hours.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Mine is 1 months old, 5000 miles, 703.1 engine hours on it as of 9pm yesterday. The thing is still running right now the second shift driver is driving the car up and down the highway delivering stuff . No oil burn at all. Maybe it doesn’t burn oil when the car is warmed up? My car never got a chance to cool down.
Wow! No dust settling on your car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts