Mazda CX-50 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2023 CX-50 2.5 Turbo Premium Plus
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are my numbers on running a full tank of 91 (Top Tier) in the turbo. For reference, I live in San Diego which is very hilly driving which is not what most people think. I drove 50/50 highway/city at average highway speeds 70-75, used i-stop, and drove somewhat conservative. No heavy accelerations from start and no need to floor it to get out of a dangerous situation (Obviously would have if needed). Basically didn't drive it like I stole it or an @sshole.

Miles drove at fillup = 339.7
Gallons filled to auto-shutoff (no top off) = 12.89
Average MPG = 26.35

I'm going to do this for three tanks to get a solid average.

On one of my going to work trips (25 miles one-way 90% highway), heading from the inland toward the ocean so mostly decreasing in altitude, I averaged 32 MPG.

It's not hard to reach or exceed the advertised MPG with the turbo or NA. You just have to be a conscious driver with your right foot.

·
Registered
2023 CX-50 2.5 S Premium Plus
11 Posts
I’ve got a Premium Plus non-Turbo. After 300 miles I’m getting a consistent 24.3 mpg in my hilly suburban/rural/city environment with lots of up-down and stop-go. But to get that I need to rely heavily on the cruise control. (Which I’m really enjoying btw.) I drop about .5 to 1 mpg when I try to baby things myself with the gas pedal. It’s pretty uncommon for me to see cylinder deactivation. There’s a lot of demand for the engine where I drive. But it’s pretty cool when it does kick in. And it doesn’t take a very heavy foot at all to knock the average mpg down to 22. I haven’t done enough highway driving yet to make a real difference, just the 3 or 4 exits to the supermarket and back every now and then. I’m optimistic I’ll easily see 30+ mpg (if I want to) when I have reasons for longer highway runs.

Here are my numbers on running a full tank of 91 (Top Tier) in the turbo. For reference, I live in San Diego which is very hilly driving which is not what most people think. I drove 50/50 highway/city at average highway speeds 70-75, used i-stop, and drove somewhat conservative. No heavy accelerations from start and no need to floor it to get out of a dangerous situation (Obviously would have if needed). Basically didn't drive it like I stole it or an @sshole.

Miles drove at fillup = 339.7
Gallons filled to auto-shutoff (no top off) = 12.89
Average MPG = 26.35

I'm going to do this for three tanks to get a solid average.

On one of my going to work trips (25 miles one-way 90% highway), heading from the inland toward the ocean so mostly decreasing in altitude, I averaged 32 MPG.

It's not hard to reach or exceed the advertised MPG with the turbo or NA. You just have to be a conscious driver with your right foot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve got a Premium Plus non-Turbo. After 300 miles I’m getting a consistent 24.3 mpg in my hilly suburban/rural/city environment with lots of up-down and stop-go. But to get that I need to rely heavily on the cruise control. (Which I’m really enjoying btw.) I drop about .5 to 1 mpg when I try to baby things myself with the gas pedal. It’s pretty uncommon for me to see cylinder deactivation. There’s a lot of demand for the engine where I drive. But it’s pretty cool when it does kick in. And it doesn’t take a very heavy foot at all to knock the average mpg down to 22. I haven’t done enough highway driving yet to make a real difference, just the 3 or 4 exits to the supermarket and back every now and then. I’m optimistic I’ll easily see 30+ mpg (if I want to) when I have reasons for longer highway runs.
I get the same dude and I'm hauling ass everywhere in my non turbo as well. Right now I'm at 23.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’ve got a pretty decent commute (48 miles one way, hilly for most and through city/hilly terrain) I’ve been averaging about 26.9 mpg on these commutes, i drive the turbo engine, keep the cruise control on for the highway parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts