Mazda CX-50 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2023 CX-50 2.5 Turbo Premium Plus
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are my numbers on running a full tank of 91 (Top Tier) in the turbo. For reference, I live in San Diego which is very hilly driving which is not what most people think. I drove 50/50 highway/city at average highway speeds 70-75, used i-stop, and drove somewhat conservative. No heavy accelerations from start and no need to floor it to get out of a dangerous situation (Obviously would have if needed). Basically didn't drive it like I stole it or an @sshole.

Miles drove at fillup = 339.7
Gallons filled to auto-shutoff (no top off) = 12.89
Average MPG = 26.35

I'm going to do this for three tanks to get a solid average.

On one of my going to work trips (25 miles one-way 90% highway), heading from the inland toward the ocean so mostly decreasing in altitude, I averaged 32 MPG.

It's not hard to reach or exceed the advertised MPG with the turbo or NA. You just have to be a conscious driver with your right foot.

·
Registered
2023 CX-50 2.5 S Premium Plus
11 Posts
I’ve got a Premium Plus non-Turbo. After 300 miles I’m getting a consistent 24.3 mpg in my hilly suburban/rural/city environment with lots of up-down and stop-go. But to get that I need to rely heavily on the cruise control. (Which I’m really enjoying btw.) I drop about .5 to 1 mpg when I try to baby things myself with the gas pedal. It’s pretty uncommon for me to see cylinder deactivation. There’s a lot of demand for the engine where I drive. But it’s pretty cool when it does kick in. And it doesn’t take a very heavy foot at all to knock the average mpg down to 22. I haven’t done enough highway driving yet to make a real difference, just the 3 or 4 exits to the supermarket and back every now and then. I’m optimistic I’ll easily see 30+ mpg (if I want to) when I have reasons for longer highway runs.

Here are my numbers on running a full tank of 91 (Top Tier) in the turbo. For reference, I live in San Diego which is very hilly driving which is not what most people think. I drove 50/50 highway/city at average highway speeds 70-75, used i-stop, and drove somewhat conservative. No heavy accelerations from start and no need to floor it to get out of a dangerous situation (Obviously would have if needed). Basically didn't drive it like I stole it or an @sshole.

Average MPG = 26.35

On one of my going to work trips (25 miles one-way 90% highway), heading from the inland toward the ocean so mostly decreasing in altitude, I averaged 32 MPG.

It's not hard to reach or exceed the advertised MPG with the turbo or NA. You just have to be a conscious driver with your right foot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve got a Premium Plus non-Turbo. After 300 miles I’m getting a consistent 24.3 mpg in my hilly suburban/rural/city environment with lots of up-down and stop-go. But to get that I need to rely heavily on the cruise control. (Which I’m really enjoying btw.) I drop about .5 to 1 mpg when I try to baby things myself with the gas pedal. It’s pretty uncommon for me to see cylinder deactivation. There’s a lot of demand for the engine where I drive. But it’s pretty cool when it does kick in. And it doesn’t take a very heavy foot at all to knock the average mpg down to 22. I haven’t done enough highway driving yet to make a real difference, just the 3 or 4 exits to the supermarket and back every now and then. I’m optimistic I’ll easily see 30+ mpg (if I want to) when I have reasons for longer highway runs.
I get the same dude and I'm hauling ass everywhere in my non turbo as well. Right now I'm at 23.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’ve got a pretty decent commute (48 miles one way, hilly for most and through city/hilly terrain) I’ve been averaging about 26.9 mpg on these commutes, i drive the turbo engine, keep the cruise control on for the highway parts.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Average MPG = 26.35

Numbers on my second tank of 91 Octane in the turbo. Less highway driving on this tank and a little heavier right foot, which shows on the calculated average mpg. Still, not too shabby for the turbo engine.

Miles drove at fillup = 308.5
Gallons filled to auto-shutoff (no top off) = 12.95
Average MPG = 23.8

Of note, the car computer average mpg was off by one mile, showing 22.9

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Numbers on my third tank of 91 Octane in the turbo. This will be my final hand calc. post, as I now have a three tank average.

Miles drove at fillup = 305.7
Gallons filled to auto-shutoff (no top off) = 11.75
Average MPG = 26.0

Three tank average= 25.38

Car computer tank average was a full mpg short again

·
Registered
34 Posts
Confirmed with dealer the first tank is premium(91)
1st fill up - 322.7km 52.3L
16.21L/100km - 14.51 MPG

2nd fill up - 299.4km 54.7L
18.27L/100km - 12.87 MPG

3nd fill up - 373.9 55.2L
14.76L/100km - 15.94MPG

Dash MPG number is higher than actual fuel consumption. About 0.5 ish L/100km higher.

Outside temperature is Low 20C high 27C

Condition: mixed city highway, max speed 120km/h, auto start stop on, AC always on, cooled seats for both front passenger on, window never opened. No load. Always 91 gas at Costco.
*more condition. Logged engine(driving hours) 42.3hours. Average speed is 23.77km/h. A lot of idling time. A lot of in town deliveries. My foot is fairly heavy. Very impressive. Get same mileage as my smaller GLA 45 AMG

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
I got the CX50 Turbo - what a joy to ride. However the fuel averages are somewhat odd- I'm already 600miles in and on my third tank and I'm hovering around 20mpg all the time. Anyone see these numbers get a bit more friendly over time? Talked with the service dept at the dealer and they said they cant even test before 2,500miles because the computer is still calibrating...? Weird...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Im happy with my 19 mpg because im moving a huge vehicle and not worrying about mashing the peddle(compared to my audi s3, tuned, city average 19, highway 24)
But im only at 400 miles so..and no long highway trips yet. Only use 91 too..
Really like this car👍

1 - 13 of 13 Posts