Mazda CX-50 Forum banner

Front suspension noise?

10K views 40 replies 8 participants last post by  daroco 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2023 Turbo premium with the 20" rims.

At lower speeds (like under 35mph), over rough roads, the front suspension is loud. I get a strong 'thunk' sound over those surfaces. A loud thwack. Not metal on metal; it's just loud. I've not experienced it on any other vehicle I've had. It's very apparent when you are on those rougher, bumpy, roads.

I actually replaced the OEM tires with a 50 series tire - OEM is 45. The idea was to put more rubber between the road and rim - soften it up. The ride is more smooth, but that noise is still very apparent. I have 18" rims and snow tires going on in two weeks - that will be a 60 series tire; so, even more rubber between the rim and the road. But, I doubt it solves it. It really sounds like the suspension isn't isolated enough from the cabin.

Is this an issue isolated to my vehicle, or is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

#2 ·
Just not enough sound deadening in the cx50.. you hear the road and suspension more than in other vehicles and the suspension is overly firm and bumps really crash thru hard in this vehicle especially with the 20s but almost just as bad with 17s. One of the many reasons I dumped mine and got into a 23 cx5 sport design turbo. Such a better built vehicle than the cx50. Cx50 seems to be the start of Mazda really showing its cost cutting and the build quality of these coming out of the Alabama plant is sub par compared to mazdas built in Japan

#3 ·
I just drove another one with the 20’s and it’s completely silent on the exact same roads I drive on. I took it down the same road that mine makes noise on. Something is off. Have an appointment for 12/5 to have them take a closer look…

#4 ·
Yeah then you may have a suspension issue. The issue I had with mine which was a gsl model non turbo with the 17 inch wheels was what sounded like wheel bearing noise or stuck in a higher gear mostly noticeable on the hwy. Took it to two separate dealers both saying it was normal. Sounded like I had mud tires on it. They hoisted it and everything was tight and said it was a normal characteristic of the vehicle. I had just traded in a 22 outback wilderness with all terrain tires that was much much more quiet than the cx50. I will never know what was wrong with that cx50 but it was the loudest vehicle I had ever owned on the hwy and I've had many trucks with all terrain tires. I basically just gave up because the Mazda dealers were useless. I traded it back. Lost 2k but also lost the headache of that vehicle. It just felt very cheap to me. I did also test drive a non turbo unit with the 20s on it and it was loud as well. The cx50 is not a quiet car.

#5 ·
Sad to hear your issues. I have owned my 50 Premium Turbo five+ months now, and I am a Toyota guy traditionally, and mine has had no issues and is quite quiet on any roads, wife really likes it. It is a firm ride yes but have been very happy with it and at this point continue to give it a thumbs up. I would describe driving it as a combination of of an SUV and the handling more like a sports car.. in one word FUN. Maybe not for everyone but as with Mazdas of recent it has great driving dynamics. People seem to forget the lower profile 20“ wheels provide for better handling on roads, cornering and frankly towing but may give up some dampening on bumps. I recently rented a decked out 22 Toyota Camry and was surprised how much louder it was than my 50 turbo and rather boring to drive.

#9 ·
I have the noise as well. I noticed it shortly after driving it off the lot. Now that I’ve lived with it for a few weeks and I see that others are hearing the same noise all I can think is that it’s due to excessive rebound damping. Too much damping will cause the tire to reconnect with the ground too slowly on the backside of a sharp edged bump (like coming off a fresh layer of pavement or going into a pothole). That delayed reconnect will cause a slap when the tire hits the ground.

I’ve not taken it to the dealer.

#12 ·
By the way, your explanation makes sense and is described well. The tech did tell me he's had issues with the CX9 that were similar - around the cowling and bolts being loose. I plan to check mine, tomorrow, as well as the top of the strut mount in the engine bay.

#13 ·
I ended up driving yet another CX50 today, with the 20's. No noise, at all, over the same road surfaces I drive mine on. I took it over the same loop. I just hope they find something to replace/tighten to fix it. Otherwise, it turns into a battle of - 'that's a normal condition' for the car. Fortunately, I have a few examples to prove otherwise. ;)

#15 ·
Mine goes in tomorrow afternoon. I also ordered Siless Liner - 4mm thick. I'm going to pull the back end out and put some sound deadening back there. I'm not sure if it's the exhaust, or my new tires, but something resonates back there at 50 and 80. Incredibly annoying. I was also shocked to see NO sound deadening material in the spare area...at all.

It will be interesting to see how you remove the side panels in the trunk area. My least favorite part of that project as breaking clips just means a chance for more noise. YUK.

#16 ·
So you spend 43k on a brand new mazda and then you have to spend money to have sound deadening done? I mean why? If you drove another exact same trim that was quiet tell Mazda your cx50 has to drive the same as that one or take it back. My experience is that the cx50 is a loud vehicle. Whether it's the tires or the exhaust coming in the cabin it's there and it's pretty constant and on all cx50 in every trim. Mazda choose to cheap out on this vehicle and it shows with how it sounds.

#17 ·
Clearly you didn't have a positive experience with your 50. I respect that.

I honestly don't think it's cheaply built. Seems solid to me, overall. Every car I've ever owned has some sort of 'hang nail' issue.

In terms of the noise? I test drove two and only for 15-20min., each. I honestly wasn't paying that much attention to noise. Further, that road noise only because noticeable when I changed the tires. The OEM Goodyear tires were quiet. I just didn't like the way they handled and wanted a taller, wider, tire.

Adding sound deadening material to the back of the car isn't something I want to do. I agree; I was shocked there was none back there. But, I've also added this to nearly every car I've had. Some into the doors, firewall, etc. I'm not going that deep on this vehicle. I'll start with the rear as that's where I seem to hear most of the noise.

Overall, I think the car is a good value of style, features, power and an AWD system. I'm sure as the years' go by, each model year will get that much better, too.

I'll keep everyone posted on my suspension noise. I can tell they've been in and out of it a few times today as I keep getting alerts on my phone. :)

#18 ·
So, apparently, the CX9 suffers from an issue that is the same. That is, a clunking in the front end. The tech, at my dealership, told me about this and said it's a relatively easy fix. It involves removing the cowling, at the front windshield near the wipers, which exposes a series of bolts (4) that can be loose.

It seems this is an issue with, at least, my CX50. My dealer took the cowling off; tightened the bolts, and all is now fine. I haven't driven it extensively; but, I can say that it's a lot better than it was after 50 miles.

I will report more as the miles accumulate. But, I think they are on the right path. Happy for that, for sure!

#20 ·
I was thinking the same thing, but it's actually NOT the strut mount bolts. It's some other series of bolt under that cowling where the wipers rest. I didn't get to see it apart, so I can't speak to the exact bolts; but, the tech told me you remove the cowling and they are right there - 4 of them. Hopefully it stays the way it is, now, and doesn't loosen up. I think if it does, I will handle it myself in lieu of the hassle of going back to the dealer...

#26 ·
how’s this going? In the noise gone after the tightening of the four bolts? I’m scheduled to go in tomorrow to have mine looked at and I’d love to give them a direction to go in.
Also, you mention doing it yourself next time. Can you describe what exactly the tech did?
Thanks!

#25 ·
I have a 2023 Turbo premium with the 20" rims. At lower speeds (like under 35mph), over rough roads, the front suspension is loud. I get a strong 'thunk' sound over those surfaces. A loud thwack. Not metal on metal; it's just loud. I've not experienced it on any other vehicle I've had. It's very apparent when you are on those rougher, bumpy, roads. I actually replaced the OEM tires with a 50 series tire - OEM is 45. The idea was to put more rubber between the road and rim - soften it up. The ride is more smooth, but that noise is still very apparent. I have 18" rims and snow tires going on in two weeks - that will be a 60 series tire; so, even more rubber between the rim and the road. But, I doubt it solves it. It really sounds like the suspension isn't isolated enough from the cabin. Is this an issue isolated to my vehicle, or is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

#29 ·
Just returned from the dealer. They were able to replicate the noise but they were not able to resolve it. Really nice group of people (my first time there). The service tech owns a CX-50 as well and he has the same noise. He hadn’t heard about the strut tower brace bolts being a potential source of the noise. He checked mine and they were already to the proper torque. He went over the rest of the car, as he’s done with his car three times, and couldn’t find a source of the noise. He has been communicating with Mazda. Good news is my issue is logged in the system and if, post warranty period, there’s any secondary issue or there is a fix then I’ll be eligible for coverage. For exactly how long I don’t know.

#30 ·
Greetings!

I joined the forum a bit ago but this issue compelled me to make my first post. I guess I'm glad it's not just me? But I have the similar "thud" from the driver side when hitting harsh bumps, but I don't remember having it when it was new. I have 12000 miles now and it has only caught my attention in the last few thousand miles, and since it's drivers side only, I hesitate to call it "normal."

I'm going to schedule to have dealer look at it, but I also decided to pay the 30 bucks for a 24 hour service manual subscription to see about these 4 bolts mentioned in this thread. It does look like there's 4 bolts under the plastic cowl cover, but I'm just not sure they could be the source of this noise. Here's the photo of the structure under the plastic cowling, is it really a brace/structure related to the suspension that could be the source of the noise?

Actually, after looking at it closer, this is what I could call a "strut tower brace" in my performance car. It looks like it does link the two strut towers, and considering the torque of the bolts indicated, perhaps if they're loose they could be the source.

Well, I think I'm going to head out and pop off the plastic cover and see. I'll report back my findings.

#31 ·
Thanks for adding your thoughts and experiences. I mentioned earlier that it seems to occur on suspension rebound and the more I live with it the more this definitely seems to be the case. It’s somewhat speed dependent though I haven’t really nailed down the exact speed window that it happens. It definitely happens pulling into my driveway (left hand turn) when the car slowly travels over the apron and a small dip that’s there. It’s not a pot hole or sharp edged bump. It’s like a sunken underground drain pipe shape to it. So no I way bb it’s a slightly loose suspension item or something like that. I’m thinking more and more that it’s a shock issue and once it wants to extend there’s some free play in the piston or shaft and it clunks.