Mazda CX-50 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, turning tail on my Taco (which I love). Wheeled in both NM and UT, but it’s time for something more comfortable on the road (wife has an ‘18 TRD Off Road 4Runner, our third vehicle is an ‘02 Sahara - now a classic TJ).

Was gonna go with an Outback Wilderness (begrudgingly so due to the CVT/Garbage Infotainment system), but my little brother told me to go test drive a CX-50. TBH didn’t know much about Mazdas, other than the old rotaries, MX-5/RX-7, etc. Kinda thought the post skyactiv switch were parents’ cars (no offense meant here), but boy was I impressed at the quality in this vehicle. I mean, I hate to say it, but the CX-50 was the Outback I was looking for. 6-Speed Traditional AT, a single mode that seems to crush what I might take this on occasionally (watching the CX-30 videos on YT), and good lord the interior… how the heck can Subaru justify what they are selling with this now available?

Dropped a reservation same day as testing for a Zircon Sand PPT. Should be here next month and now most of my days are just spent consuming all the knowledge I can on this super-wagon (that’s what I’m calling it, screw this crossover nonsense). I dream of an aftermarket, probably won’t happen, but I need to resist the temptation, as I am getting older and this car needs to be mostly for roadtrips and commutes. However, the potential is real for a pretty beefy trail runner.

Anyways, hope it’s all worth it. I think it will be… again, I love my Tacoma, but my back doesn’t, the pavement doesn’t, and neither does my wallet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulations! You mentioned a reservation for a car. Were you able to order a specific car or buy a specific vehicle that was in shipment to your dealer? Thanks,
First dealer had the one I wanted as a tester, wouldn’t sell that (I was the first to put miles on it, was sitting in showroom). Asked if they had any coming and they stated no, asked if I could order and they said they aren’t taking orders just waiting for what shows up.

Found another dealer that was much more competent. Asked what was coming in, the exact one I was looking for was on their list due in next month and not yet reserved. MSRP is the price, no add markups.

·
Registered
56 Posts
First dealer had the one I wanted as a tester, wouldn’t sell that (I was the first to put miles on it, was sitting in showroom). Asked if they had any coming and they stated no, asked if I could order and they said they aren’t taking orders just waiting for what shows up.

Found another dealer that was much more competent. Asked what was coming in, the exact one I was looking for was on their list due in next month and not yet reserved. MSRP is the price, no add markups.
😍😍 Lovely! I went through the same ordeal with one dealership that also had a tester they wouldn't sell and refuse to let me make any offers for orders on any coming in before they arrive on the lot.. they didn't tell me the tester wasn't even for sale until after I came back from the test drive I was not happy 😅

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
😍😍 Lovely! I went through the same ordeal with one dealership that also had a tester they wouldn't sell and refuse to let me make any offers for orders on any coming in before they arrive on the lot.. they didn't tell me the tester wasn't even for sale until after I came back from the test drive I was not happy 😅
Funny, the original dealer just called me saying that Mazda “threw them a curve ball” and as it stands it has 99 miles and do I still want it… I told them why would I want it 91 miles later after you turned me away? Have a nice day.

·
Registered
2023 CX-50 2.5 S Premium Plus
11 Posts
Funny, the original dealer just called me saying that Mazda “threw them a curve ball” and as it stands it has 99 miles and do I still want it… I told them why would I want it 91 miles later after you turned me away? Have a nice day.
I had sort of the opposite experience here. The dealership had zero on the lot but knew the first two were in transit. They said they were taking 100% refundable deposits for “the first test drive and the right of first refusal”. The Turbo Premium Plus was already spoken for. The natural Premium Plus was not and that was the one I was interested in anyway. So I gave them my cc to hold it and it arrived 2 days later on 4/15. I drove it on the 16th, finished the deal, and took it home with 21 miles on it, half of them from my test drive.

I spoke to the dealership again yesterday. (A feel-good follow-up call.) They said they had just received their 3rd and 4th 50’s that morning. This time they got a Premium Plus and a Preferred Plus, these in Soul Red rather than Polymetal like the first two. As of yesterday afternoon, the Premium had a deposit that quick, the Preferred was still unspoken for. They don’t know when the next ones will arrive or what trims they’ll be. It seems to be “sell what we give ya”. I didn’t think to ask if they’re taking orders yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had sort of the opposite experience here. The dealership had zero on the lot but knew the first two were in transit. They said they were taking 100% refundable deposits for “the first test drive and the right of first refusal”. The Turbo Premium Plus was already spoken for. The natural Premium Plus was not and that was the one I was interested in anyway. So I gave them my cc to hold it and it arrived 2 days later on 4/15. I drove it on the 16th, finished the deal, and took it home with 21 miles on it, half of them from my test drive.

I spoke to the dealership again yesterday. (A feel-good follow-up call.) They said they had just received their 3rd and 4th 50’s that morning. This time they got a Premium Plus and a Preferred Plus, these in Soul Red rather than Polymetal like the first two. As of yesterday afternoon, the Premium had a deposit that quick, the Preferred was still unspoken for. They don’t know when the next ones will arrive or what trims they’ll be. It seems to be “sell what we give ya”. I didn’t think to ask if they’re taking orders yet.
The second dealer I reserved the PPT at was taking orders and offered to do so when I inquired, I just asked for the spec sheets of the non reserved arrivals first and got lucky the one I wanted was already a due in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The second dealer I reserved the PPT at was taking orders and offered to do so when I inquired, I just asked for the spec sheets of the non reserved arrivals first and got lucky the one I wanted was already a due in.
Congrats on the purchase! I'm waiting for the Meridian Edition to come out. Did you happen to hear any information when that will be released? On a side note, did you happen to come across "futy_anderssons" on instagram yet? He's got a great looking CX5 he's put together.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congrats on the purchase! I'm waiting for the Meridian Edition to come out. Did you happen to hear any information when that will be released? On a side note, did you happen to come across "futy_anderssons" on instagram yet? He's got a great looking CX5 he's put together.
Haven’t heard a specific date, they told me later in the year (fall maybe?). Initially I was wanting to wait for that, but when I heard it was just an appearance package I looked into it a bit further to confirm. Only functional differences are rim/tire combo, anti glare decal, and a platform that seems to attach to the OEM crossbars. Cosmetically speaking it will have some silver garnish on the side cladding and some black backing near the headlights that will make them pop more.

I only care about function, so decided not to wait and pull the trigger on the PPT since it’s virtually the same vehicle aside from rim/tires, roof rack, and some sexy makeup. I can choose my own rim/tire combo later on for more dedicated trail days and I’ll see what pops up in a few years via aftermarket for other accessories. If nothing, no biggie… goal here is to have something more road-focused anyhow.

Haven’t seen the instagram, I’ll check it out though :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Haven’t heard a specific date, they told me later in the year (fall maybe?). Initially I was wanting to wait for that, but when I heard it was just an appearance package I looked into it a bit further to confirm. Only functional differences are rim/tire combo, anti glare decal, and a platform that seems to attach to the OEM crossbars. Cosmetically speaking it will have some silver garnish on the side cladding and some black backing near the headlights that will make them pop more.

I only care about function, so decided not to wait and pull the trigger on the PPT since it’s virtually the same vehicle aside from rim/tires, roof rack, and some sexy makeup. I can choose my own rim/tire combo later on for more dedicated trail days and I’ll see what pops up in a few years via aftermarket for these. If not, no biggie… goal here is to have something more road-focused anyhow.

Haven’t seen the instagram, I’ll check it out though :)
Perfect, was wondering what the differences were going to be. I totally agree about the cosmetics and would rather put my own rim/tire package together anyways...thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2023 CX-50 2.5 Turbo Premium Plus
65 Posts
I am curious how the 18" rims with A/T's will handle/sound compared to the 20" rims with passenger tires. I love the 20s on mine and can't talk enough about how it handles. For me, living in SoCal, the Meridian wasn't going to add any more functionality to my use case. The AWD with passenger M + S tires on the 20s will work just fine for trips to the mountain in the winter. I'll be getting a pair of low-profile chain alternatives (only required for the front per the manual) to help when required.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am curious how the 18" rims with A/T's will handle/sound compared to the 20" rims with passenger tires. I love the 20s on mine and can't talk enough about how it handles. For me, living in SoCal, the Meridian wasn't going to add any more functionality to my use case. The AWD with passenger M + S tires on the 20s will work just fine for trips to the mountain in the winter. I'll be getting a pair of low-profile chain alternatives (only required for the front per the manual) to help when required.
My guess would be you would trade some mpgs for a squishier ride; smaller rims allow for more tire side profile than the 20s. Ideally I’d go for smallest rim possible (I think 17 is the limit for these) and biggest tire that doesn’t rub for an “off-road set up”.

Edit: in my experience you always will get more noise with more aggressive tires, you just tune it out with the radio

·
Registered
3 Posts
We just got rid of our 15 mazda6 and got a polymetal 2.5s premium plus. Have an 80 rx7, an 80 626, and an 82 626 at home as well lol. I wish they did loyalty credit for more than 1 vehicle hahah

1 - 13 of 13 Posts