Mazda CX-50 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking in online manual and the printed manual, and I can't find where the Cylinder Deactivation indicator is located. I see where the manual says "some models", but I read where
24Brix has a non-turbo Premium Plus just like mine and he (or she) writes about watching the indicator. Where is it?

This is my first Mazda and I've only got 750 miles on it, so I'm still learning.

This car does some strange things. Last week the Mazda was parked unlocked in my garage. I walked by it with my key fob in my pocket, and when I walked past the right front door, the car locked and the side mirrors retracted. This has only happened 1 time.

My wife walked up to the drivers locked door and grabbed the door handle. The door unlocked like it should. She got in and started the motor, and then noticed the mirrors remained retracted. She had to push the button on the left door to open the mirrors. This has happened 1 time.

The emergency brake has remained engaged when you put the car in gear. I had to push the E-Brake button down to release it. This has happened twice.

I've noticed that sometimes the cruise control set speed is how fast the Mazda is going when you push the SET+ button, but other times It'll set to the next higher regular speed. What I mean is that if you are going 52MPH and push the SET+ button, it will either set to 52MPH OR 55MPH. Now I think it depends on how long you hold the SET+ button. If you briefly push it, it seems to set itself to 52 MPH. If you keep it pushed a little longer, it'll set to 55 MPH I'm not 100% sure about this, I just saw this for the first time yesterday.

·
Registered
CX-50 Turbo Premium Plus
56 Posts
I have a turbo so I cannot tell you where the cylinder deactivation indicator is.
This car does some strange things. Last week the Mazda was parked unlocked in my garage. I walked by it with my key fob in my pocket, and when I walked past the right front door, the car locked and the side mirrors retracted. This has only happened 1 time.
Is it possible you brushed up against the lock sensor on the handle? Also, do you have the auto lock on walkaway feature on? I doubt that one would be it, because you would notice it all the time.

My wife walked up to the drivers locked door and grabbed the door handle. The door unlocked like it should. She got in and started the motor, and then noticed the mirrors remained retracted. She had to push the button on the left door to open the mirrors. This has happened 1 time.
I have seen this myself once or twice I think. I say "I think" because I cannot remember the exact situation, but I do recall my mirrors not being in the position they should be in once or twice. I attributed it to me confusing the system by unlocking/locking the car repeatedly. I believe when it did occur, it occurred when I was screwing around with settings.

The emergency brake has remained engaged when you put the car in gear. I had to push the E-Brake button down to release it. This has happened twice.
I have had this happen a few times. I believe this is due to not depressing the brake pedal with enough force when putting the car into gear or when starting it (one of the two). I have a light touch on my brake pedal, so much so that I rarely engage i-Stop. So I just assume that is what is happening when this occurs.

Two quirks I have noticed. On two occasions, I have come out in the morning (only in the morning) and the liftgate button is non-responsive. Both times I had to use the key fob to open the gate.

Also, when closing the liftgate, if I use the close button instead of lock button, it seems like the auto lock on walk away does not work. It has worked a time or two, but usually will not. I assume that is intended, and I just use the lock button now, but kind of annoying and not expected behavior.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cashmonee--On the door locks, I never set it to lock when I walked away, and like you say it would do it all the time. The Monza is in the garage and it's always unlocked. The time it happened, I was carrying something and my hands were nowhere near the FOB.

JerryV, I don't want to de-activate cylinder de-activation, I just want to know where to look for the light the indicates that it's been triggered. It's got to be in the main display, so I'll look closer next time I take it out of town.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cashmonee, you are probably right about the brake pedal and the EB. I'll try and see if I can get to leave the EB on. Actually my only concern about the EB staying ON is that my wife knows how to get it to release.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I drove it at about 45 MPH and didn't see any indicators coming on and going off when more throttle was applied. I seem to remember my daughter's Oddessy having an indicator, but like you said I get the impression that the Mazda doesn't have an indicator and that deactivation just runs seamlessly in the background.

·
Registered
2023, Mazda GS-L
8 Posts
I've been looking in online manual and the printed manual, and I can't find where the Cylinder Deactivation indicator is located. I see where the manual says "some models", but I read where
24Brix has a non-turbo Premium Plus just like mine and he (or she) writes about watching the indicator. Where is it?

This is my first Mazda and I've only got 750 miles on it, so I'm still learning.

I've noticed that sometimes the cruise control set speed is how fast the Mazda is going when you push the SET+ button, but other times It'll set to the next higher regular speed. What I mean is that if you are going 52MPH and push the SET+ button, it will either set to 52MPH OR 55MPH. Now I think it depends on how long you hold the SET+ button. If you briefly push it, it seems to set itself to 52 MPH. If you keep it pushed a little longer, it'll set to 55 MPH I'm not 100% sure about this, I just saw this for the first time yesterday.
I am in Canada and have the GS-L model. It should be equivalent to one of the US models.
Cylinder deactivation is displayed on the main screen (infotainment screen). It is displayed when selecting : "Information -> Fuel Efficiency Monitor-> Energy Flow Monitor"

This displays a graphic of 4 cylinders and they are greyed out or lit up depending on which are in use or not.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am in Canada and have the GS-L model. It should be equivalent to one of the US models.
Cylinder deactivation is displayed on the main screen (infotainment screen). It is displayed when selecting : "Information -> Fuel Efficiency Monitor-> Energy Flow Monitor"

This displays a graphic of 4 cylinders and they are greyed out or lit up depending on which are in use or not.
Nzoka
Thanks for the INFO. I would think they'd put this on the instrument cluster in front of the driver, but then Mazda does things just a little different. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nzoka
Thanks for the INFO. I would think they'd put this on the instrument cluster in front of the driver, but then Mazda does things just a little different. Thanks again!!

I traveled on a relatively level road with the cruise locked on 55MPH and it was 4 cylinders all the way. It only switches to 2 cylinders at low speeds. It will switch at 40 MPH on any downhill sections of the road. The thing I find surprising it that it indicates all 4 de-activated when you coast to a stop. I believe that GM and Honda only deactivate 1/2 of the cylinders. The other half have no physical way to deactivate. If Mazda really does have the ability to deactivate all 4, it might be to reduce vibration on coasting. On the Mazda video that shows how deactivation works, they do say that this is the first 4 cylinder engine with deactivation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts