Mazda CX-50 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a CX-50 2.5 S w/Premium Plus PKG AWD in Wind Chill Pearl. My wife drives this one while I drive my MX-5 30AE ND2. My question relates to gas milage on the CX-50. Window sticker displays City 24 and Highway 30 with Combined 27. She has come close and she drives like a little old lady which she isn't. Best so far has been 18 around town. Our previous CX-5 was getting over 30 around town. We love Mazda my first being a first gen RX-7 #249 off the assembly line and have had over 30 various models over the years. Anybody else having gas milage issues?

·
Registered
Mazda CX-50 Premium Turbo
10 Posts
We have a CX-50 2.5 S w/Premium Plus PKG AWD in Wind Chill Pearl. My wife drives this one while I drive my MX-5 30AE ND2. My question relates to gas milage on the CX-50. Window sticker displays City 24 and Highway 30 with Combined 27. She has come close and she drives like a little old lady which she isn't. Best so far has been 18 around town. Our previous CX-5 was getting over 30 around town. We love Mazda my first being a first gen RX-7 #249 off the assembly line and have had over 30 various models over the years. Anybody else having gas milage issues?
Same here. I drove about 300 miles on highway with 65mph max and my average went to maximum 23 miles per gallon.

·
Registered
CX-50 Turbo Premium Plus
56 Posts
Mine has not been great, but I am still only at 1300 miles so far. I have seen an improvement the last few hundred miles. My experience with new cars is that they are not as efficient new. It tends to take a few thousand miles for them to get closer to the EPA rated mpg. So the improvement I have seen is encouraging and I hope it keeps trending that way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My CX-50 Premium Plus is just the opposite. I am real happy with the mileage mine has shown. I've only had it 2 weeks and have less than 400 miles on it. We live abut 70 miles southeast of Nashville in a small town, it hasn't had any real city driving. A week ago we drove it down to Huntsville, AL and my wife drove it back. We filled it up for the first time on the way back, and when we got home it was showing 32.5 MPG. My wife was driving about 60 MPH on state highways on the way home, although we did do a little real city driving also. Now I've got about 150 miles on the tank and it's showing 29.4 MPG. I probably should tell you that I'm 73 years old and my wife's 70, so there hasn't been much full throttle driving. One way that I've noticed that helps the mileage. If you keep your foot on the gas and hit the brakes to slow down, a lot of energy is dissipated as heat. In the CX-50, If you let off the gas, after some normal coasting, you'll feel the car slowing quicker. I think they turn the fuel injectors completely off, because you can see the tach drop down when it starts slowing harder. This has to save a lot of gas.

Also check the accuracy of the MPG indication. FIll it up, and reset the MPG display. Run the tank low and fill it again and calculate your actual MPG and compare it to the display. Obviously I haven't checked mine yet, but Wednesday we're going into Nashville and we'll fill it up on the way home and I'll see how accurate mine is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My CX-50 Premium Plus is just the opposite. I am real happy with the mileage mine has shown. I've only had it 2 weeks and have less than 400 miles on it. We live abut 70 miles southeast of Nashville in a small town, it hasn't had any real city driving. A week ago we drove it down to Huntsville, AL and my wife drove it back. We filled it up for the first time on the way back, and when we got home it was showing 32.5 MPG. My wife was driving about 60 MPH on state highways on the way home, although we did do a little real city driving also. Now I've got about 150 miles on the tank and it's showing 29.4 MPG. I probably should tell you that I'm 73 years old and my wife's 70, so there hasn't been much full throttle driving. One way that I've noticed that helps the mileage. If you keep your foot on the gas and hit the brakes to slow down, a lot of energy is dissipated as heat. In the CX-50, If you let off the gas, after some normal coasting, you'll feel the car slowing quicker. I think they turn the fuel injectors completely off, because you can see the tach drop down when it starts slowing harder. This has to save a lot of gas.

Also check the accuracy of the MPG indication. FIll it up, and reset the MPG display. Run the tank low and fill it again and calculate your actual MPG and compare it to the display. Obviously I haven't checked mine yet, but Wednesday we're going into Nashville and we'll fill it up on the way home and I'll see how accurate mine is.

Yesterday we drove 65 miles to Nashville. I set the cruise to 72 MPH for most of the trip. There was a traffic backup that was stop & go for about 5 miles, and also a little bit of downtown Nashville traffic on surface streets. When I shut the engine off, the display indicated that I'd gotten 31.4 MPG but Nashville is a little lower than our town and that will affect mileage slightly. We stopped and filled the tank about 1/2 way home. There was 307.6 miles on the tank and I put 10.559 gallons in. That figures out to 29.131 MPG and the display indicated 29.1. It looks like the MPG monitor is very accurate. Studly and Leszekny--I think your fuel milage should be way better. My CX50 now has almost 600 miles on it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
HUGE disappointment!! I am actually start to regret getting Mazda. We have 2021 Lexus NX300 - 2.4 Turbo engine that makes 24.3MPG on EXACT same route that Mazda does 18.3MPG!!! No excuses here.....

·
Registered
56 Posts
HUGE disappointment!! I am actually start to regret getting Mazda. We have 2021 Lexus NX300 - 2.4 Turbo engine that makes 24.3MPG on EXACT same route that Mazda does 18.3MPG!!! No excuses here.....
Describe the route. I have a turbo CX-50, run it pretty hard and averaging 25.3 right now. 70% highway, 30% city street.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Describe the route. I have a turbo CX-50, run it pretty hard and averaging 25.3 right now. 70% highway, 30% city street.
100% city, 30MPH most of the time. 4am in a morning - no traffic. Car is garaged in a fully AC garage (70F maintained). Honestly, I do not think the road matters. I am comparing two cars with VERY similar power drive. Lexus maintains 800RPM slowly cruising along while Mazda insist on downshifting and placing RPMs in a 1200-1500 range for NO reason. I am driving like a proverbial "old man" with no hard acceleration or braking - simply speed up slowly and glide to full stop.... I will give CX50 a benefit of doubt as the engine system is brand new and not broken in yet. Also, I will be putting Amsoil Signature at 1000 miles for better protection....I will report back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
100% city, 30MPH most of the time. 4am in a morning - no traffic. Car is garaged in a fully AC garage (70F maintained). Honestly, I do not think the road matters. I am comparing two cars with VERY similar power drive. Lexus maintains 800RPM slowly cruising along while Mazda insist on downshifting and placing RPMs in a 1200-1500 range for NO reason. I am driving like a proverbial "old man" with no hard acceleration or braking - simply speed up slowly and glide to full stop.... I will give CX50 a benefit of doubt as the engine system is brand new and not broken in yet. Also, I will be putting Amsoil Signature at 1000 miles for better protection....I will report back.
You don’t seem to like your cx50…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
You don’t seem to like your cx50…

I am hardly trying to love it but anytime I press any plastic/rubber molding around windows and feel it sinking in a quarter inch my love weakens…when I open the fuel door and the whole assembly feels cheap and fragile - I don't feel good about spending $43k. When in 80 degree weather interior gets uncomfortably warm because of very poor isolation, it makes my annoyed. It is a great $30k car but I would not buy it again at $43k…

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am hardly trying to love it but anytime I press any plastic/rubber molding around windows and feel it sinking in a quarter inch my love weakens…when I open the fuel door and the whole assembly feels cheap and fragile - I don't feel good about spending $43k. When in 80 degree weather interior gets uncomfortably warm because of very poor isolation, it makes my annoyed. It is a great $30k car but I would not buy it again at $43k…
That sounds to me like you’re in a different car. Bring it back in, something seems off.

·
Registered
CX-50 Turbo Premium Plus
56 Posts
Just took a peak at the car’s Fuel Monitor for my commute home. I got 27.6 mpg on a 40.1 mile trip that is in the neighborhood of 80% highway/freeway. I am rather happy with that estimate. That seems close to the EPA numbers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Personally when the engine is this new you should not worry about gas mileage.
It's more important to break the engine in.
I spent the most of the first 500 miles in normal mode with light to moderate acceleration. After that I have been running mostly in the sport mode. I think the sport mode is better at breaking in the engine. It keeps the revs up your not lugging the engine trying to get the best mpg's. After I feel that the engine has loosen up at bit I worry about the mpg. And go back to normal mode for the most part.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts