Mazda CX-50 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I've had my CX-50 Turbo for a couple weeks now and living in Vegas I don't always have the heat on. However I have noticed a burnt plastic kind of smell towards the end of my half hour drive home from work and it seems to be the times I have the heat turned on. My wife even smelled it in the garage afterwards. It seems to not be as strong as it was on previous trips, but I still smell it. Has anyone else noticed this?

· Registered
2023 CX-50 2.5 Turbo Premium Plus
156 Posts
OK so I've had my CX-50 Turbo for a couple weeks now and living in Vegas I don't always have the heat on. However I have noticed a burnt plastic kind of smell towards the end of my half hour drive home from work and it seems to be the times I have the heat turned on. My wife even smelled it in the garage afterwards. It seems to not be as strong as it was on previous trips, but I still smell it. Has anyone else noticed this?
Probably just all the engine components still getting seasoned. My turbo had a distinct smell for the first month coming from the engine bay. If you’re super concerned or actually see smoke or find something plastic touching hot metal in your engine bay, take it in. If not, give it some time to break in and settle.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably just all the engine components still getting seasoned. My turbo had a distinct smell for the first month coming from the engine bay. If you’re super concerned or actually see smoke or find something plastic touching hot metal in your engine bay, take it in. If not, give it some time to break in and settle.
Hopefully you're correct. Yeah definitely gonna give it some time. I've looked around, but haven't seen anything strange. Definitely no smoke.

· Registered
2023 Mazda CX-50 TPP
8 Posts
I'm on my second recent Mazda and I can say this is "standard" for a new Mazda. My wife's CX-30 smelled like that for a year, even took it in to the dealer for an inspection. My new CX-50 is the same (although not quite as bad).

· Registered
55 Posts
Mine smelled as well. Was even told when I picked it up you’ll smell it for a little time. Takes a week or two to bake off the engine and exhaust components and then it will just smell like a new car! Just normal engine surface corrosion preventative coatings / contamination oils burn off no biggee. The engine and tranny come from Japan so they have to put something on it for the trip on the ship.. my guess

· Registered
2023 CX50 TPP
3 Posts
Glad I found this post. Thought something could be wrong as smelling this on my drive home from picking up my car. It’s definitely a stronger smell than most new cars give off (from my experience).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts