Mazda CX-50 Forum banner

Break in period for new owners

9K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  ZeekZirconPPT 
#1 ·
Straight from the manual. My dealer also recommended doing an oil change at 1000 miles.

Break-In Period
No special break-in is necessary, but a few precautions in the first 1,000 km (600 miles) may add to the performance, economy, and life of the vehicle.
  • Do not race the engine.
  • Do not maintain one constant speed, either slow or fast, for a long period of time.
  • Do not drive constantly at full-throttle or high engine rpm for extended periods of time.
  • Avoid unnecessary hard stops.
  • Avoid full-throttle starts.
  • Do not tow a trailer.

#2 ·
this is common amongst many brands of vehicles. I owned three Kia's and they all said the same thing for the break-in period.

TIP: fill out your drive and location info in account settings and then it shows up below your avatar each time you post. Saves a lot of extra questions when you post a comment or question when we can see these details before responding.

#3 ·
Straight from the manual. My dealer also recommended doing an oil change at 1000 miles.

Break-In Period
No special break-in is necessary, but a few precautions in the first 1,000 km (600 miles) may add to the performance, economy, and life of the vehicle.
  • Do not maintain one constant speed, either slow or fast, for a long period of time.
  • Do not drive constantly at full-throttle or high engine rpm for extended periods of time.
  • Do not tow a trailer.
I saw my brother-in-law this weekend for our Easter get-together. He’s a recently retired ExxonMobil exec (chemical engineer) and one of the patent-holders for Mobil1 synthetic oil. (How cool is that?) I asked him this very question about new vehicle break-in periods yesterday. His answer to me was simple: There was a time when cars needed a break in period because manufacturing materials and tolerances were such that the break-in was needed to properly seat the mechanical components correctly. Do it wrong and you would reduce the life of those parts — bearings, piston rings, etc. But the newest steels, the greatly improved ability to machine parts to exacting tolerances, and the latest lubrication technologies have made break-in periods irrelevant. You can drive it like it’s got 25,000 miles on it on Day 1 — as long as you drive like a rational human being and not a crazy person hell-bent on tearing up your car. 🤣

As for the early oil change, he said do it if your owner’s manual recommends it or if your warranty requires it. But, as far as he’s concerned, it’s not necessary until you hit the 5,000 mile mark. I must admit I was surprised. (For the record his is a two Mazda family — a 2011 Mazda 3 and another newer 3. They’re just now starting to shop for a Mazda replacement for the 2011 which has 175,000 miles on it. After checking out my new wheels he may well end up in this forum too before too long.)

#4 ·

Break-In Period
  • Do not tow a trailer.
It is unnecessary to change the oil at 1000 miles. That is premature. Go to either the 5000 mile or 7500 mile intervals depending on your driving habits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.