Mazda CX-50 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our turbo CX-50 has the auto start/stop for fuel savings. Yesterday coming home from a shopping outing the engine would ‘stumble’ as I was slowing down for an intersection or pulling in to the garage. It seemed to want to try to shut down even if the car rolling slowly, not just at a complete stop. Gentle pressure on the brake at a slow rolling speed seemed to trigger it. There was significant lurching as I pulled carefully in to the garage. Today the CX-50 seems to be fine. No warning lights have been activated. I should probably check to see if any codes have been triggered. Has anyone else seen this issue and had it diagnosed?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Our turbo CX-50 has the auto start/stop for fuel savings. Yesterday coming home from a shopping outing the engine would ‘stumble’ as I was slowing down for an intersection or pulling in to the garage. It seemed to want to try to shut down even if the car rolling slowly, not just at a complete stop. Gentle pressure on the brake at a slow rolling speed seemed to trigger it. There was significant lurching as I pulled carefully in to the garage. Today the CX-50 seems to be fine. No warning lights have been activated. I should probably check to see if any codes have been triggered. Has anyone else seen this issue and had it diagnosed?
No, just had my PPT for one day and frankly, I can't tell if it auto-stopped. The button is not lit .. lol. The tach does not go to zero, does that mean it's not on? No clue, yet. Frankly, it's so hot, the a/c blows hard and can't hear the engine much.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I cant stand this feature which is why i always turn off even tho its supposedly one of the better systems..and for the minimal savings in gas versus whatever long term engine components affected..this is a EPA thing that car manufacturers are being squeezed into. .imo

·
Registered
116 Posts
I cant stand this feature which is why i always turn off even tho its supposedly one of the better systems..and for the minimal savings in gas versus whatever long term engine components affected..this is a EPA thing that car manufacturers are being squeezed into. .imo
There is a plug you can install to permanently disable iStop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

My I stop is not working at all on my new CX50. I plan to take it in, but it seems to be doing same as your where it jumps when I'm going slow...any thoughts would be appreciated!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

My I stop is not working at all on my new CX50. I plan to take it in, but it seems to be doing same as your where it jumps when I'm going slow...any thoughts would be appreciated!
Hi, I have not taken mine in for that issue yet. That stop/start surging seems to have gone away now. I intend to have it checked when I take the CX-50 in for its first service which should be in about another month.

·
Registered
2023 CX-50 Zircon Sand/Terracotta PPT
70 Posts
Just did a many hundred mile trip out and back and the i-Stop worked perfectly. Not really convinced of the value in terms of fuel savings, but it is innocuous enough compared to other manufacturer's versions.

Let me mention that it wasn't working at all initially and I used the reset procedure which is required after any battery disconnection. That fixed the issue.

·
Registered
2023 CX-50 Zircon Sand/Terracotta PPT
70 Posts
Does it work when your a/c is on and where are the instructions to reset it? Thank you!
Yes, i-Stop activates when the AC is running, but as per the manual the car interior must be close to the temp setting. I've also noticed that sometimes the iStop will turn off and the car cylinders reactivate if it is a particularly hot day and I'm sitting for a longer time at say a light (seems like the AC kicking in will cause that). There are also other conditions when iStop won't activate. It definitely activates less frequently if at all on short local trips like to the grocery store a couple of miles away from my home.

There's an official Mazda reset procedure, but I personally found it confusingly written and believe it or not, this video for the older Connect system works perfectly and is easy to understand (the computer-generated voice gets a little annoying):

Mazda i - Stop Initialize (Battery Initialize)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts