Mazda CX-50 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always thought I wanted a sunroof until I got my first vehicle with a sunroof a few years ago and realized how limited it’s use would be.

I recently got a Turbo PP and with its dual sunroof I figured I might as well maximize the use it would see by getting the glass tinted. Just wondering if anyone on the site has done so as of yet and how dark you went. And if you’re happy with the results.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would go with no tint or light tint. One my vehicles was tinted(20% on the sunroof) and it's great when you just have the cover open. The cover is open most of the time except when parked. Problem is when you actually open the sunroof. Since the panels go over each other, the tint makes it almost opaque. Luckily, I don't open the sunroof that much.

·
Registered
2023 CX-50 Zircon Sand/Terracotta PPT
84 Posts
Planning on soon getting the mostly clear UV/heat blocking film from 3M, which I believe is called Crystalline. Don't really want the extra tint beyond the factory and just want to block the heat that can be felt when the shade is open here on hot FL days. I love the roominess feeling the interior has with the shade open.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Planning on soon getting the mostly clear UV/heat blocking film from 3M, which I believe is called Crystalline. Don't really want the extra tint beyond the factory and just want to block the heat that can be felt when the shade is open here on hot FL days. I love the roominess feeling the interior has with the shade open.
I plan on doing the same thing. I would like a mostly clear tint with maximum UV protection.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I always thought I wanted a sunroof until I got my first vehicle with a sunroof a few years ago and realized how limited it’s use would be.

I recently got a Turbo PP and with its dual sunroof I figured I might as well maximize the use it would see by getting the glass tinted. Just wondering if anyone on the site has done so as of yet and how dark you went. And if you’re happy with the results.
I am going on Tuesday the 6th to tint all windows (minus the front) to 15% and Sunroof to 5%.
For year, I have been strong believer in tint for privacy, aesthetic, and UV/IR protective reasons. We have 2021 Lexus NX that is also tinted in same configuration and even when outside temp reaches 100+, interior stays at high 80s. (WeatherTech sunshade used).

There is the common misconception that the factory windows darkening on a back is protective. It is really not! It is a darkened glass with no UV or IR resistance.

On the top of that, CX50 has a soft material with almost no thermal/noise insulation between sunroof and interior. All that heat absorbed by the dark large surface of panoramic glass is released into the interior.

"XPel Prime XR Plus Nano Ceramic 5% - multilayer nano-ceramic particle technology blocks up to 98% of the infrared heat. it provides SPF 1,000 protection that effectively blocks over 99% of harmful UV rays that can lead to numerous skin issues."

I am very curious if all the AC insufficient cooling issues will be eliminated once the tint is installed. I will report back!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am going on Tuesday the 6th to tint all windows (minus the front) to 15% and Sunroof to 5%.
For year, I have been strong believer in tint for privacy, aesthetic, and UV/IR protective reasons. We have 2021 Lexus NX that is also tinted in same configuration and even when outside temp reaches 100+, interior stays at high 80s. (WeatherTech sunshade used).

There is the common misconception that the factory windows darkening on a back is protective. It is really not! It is a darkened glass with no UV or IR resistance.

On the top of that, CX50 has a soft material with almost no thermal/noise insulation between sunroof and interior. All that heat absorbed by the dark large surface of panoramic glass is released into the interior.

"XPel Prime XR Plus Nano Ceramic 5% - multilayer nano-ceramic particle technology blocks up to 98% of the infrared heat. it provides SPF 1,000 protection that effectively blocks over 99% of harmful UV rays that can lead to numerous skin issues."

I am very curious if all the AC insufficient cooling issues will be eliminated once the tint is installed. I will report back!
😍 I can't wait to see the pics and hear the results!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

We have an appointment to do everything except the sunroof this tuesday as well. Were going 15% all around as well with Llumar ICX as well as Llumar ICX on the windshield. We'll do the sunroof probablynext spring in preparation for next summer.

·
Registered
154 Posts
We have an appointment to do everything except the sunroof this tuesday as well. Were going 15% all around as well with Llumar ICX as well as Llumar ICX on the windshield. We'll do the sunroof probablynext spring in preparation for next summer.
Sounds lovely 😍 I'm not sure who's more excited me or you 🤣 I can't wait to get mine tinted when it finally arrives.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any updates on the 3M Crystalline?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts