Mazda CX-50 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2023 Zircon Sand CX-50 Meridian edition w' Apex package
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be upgrading my current 2021 CX30 to a 2023 CX50 and am wondering if the winter tires I have will fit on the CX50 or if I will need to sell this set and get another?

Is there a full list of tire sizes that will fit on the CX50?

· Registered
73 Posts
Tire rack.com is a very good resource for this. Go through the shopping process and once you load in your car it will show the stock and optional tire sizes.

Or you can do the math. Primary concern is retain the same diameter as OEM so you don’t have gearing, speedometer and odometer issues. A 245/45-20 has an overall diameter of 28.68”. Your 225/60-17 has an overall diameter of 27.62” - an inch smaller. You can expect 3.4% speedo and odo error and some impact to overall gearing in the form of higher rpm’s and earlier shift points.

In general you should also be concerned about width but in this case since 225 is narrower than 245 you shouldn’t have any clearance issues. Especially since the overall diameter is 1” less.

Oh, I should mention that the car will 1/2” less ground clearance. (Half of the overall diameter change)

Lastly, the 225/65-17 size that comes with our cars has a diameter of 28.51”.

· Registered
73 Posts
If anyone wants to see the math here it is:

225mm (labeled tire width) x .60 (labeled aspect ratio) = 135mm. This is theheight of the tire sidewall.

135mm x 2 = 270mm (Double the height of each sidewall)

270mm / 25.4 = 10.62” (converting mm to inches so we can add it to the rim diameter to get the overall diameter)

10.62” + 17” = 27.62” (tire sidewalls added to the rim diameter to get final overall diameter)

· Registered
40 Posts
Best option. Get a 235 55 19 on it. I would go with a tire like conti dw06 plus if you want to actually transform the way it rides and enhance the way it drives in every way. That tire can also handle the snow. Now if you want to go at tire route. 235 65 17 in a hybrid at tire like yoko g015. Don't go with a heavy at LT tire like a k02. They will just ruin the ride and handling of the cx50 and the mpgs will take a huge hit. Let's face it the cx50 is a road car. There is nothing offroad capable about it so I would go with the first choice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts