Mazda CX-50 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

our Cx50 has been displaying an “Auto light malfunction” intermittently for a week and now, it permanently displays it and tells me to use manual light control. I also noticed (maybe related) that the HUD has completely stopped working even toggling it on and off in the settings. Any thoughts? I’m wondering if a harness is loose somewhere. I did also wash the car in case any sensors were dirty, but no change.

-Collin

· Registered
2023 Mazda CX-50 T PP
1 Posts
I haven't had this issue myself, but like many computer related issues, try disconnecting the car battery for a half hour and let everything reset. Just an idea that I would try. Otherwise take it to the dealer so that they can diagnose it while the error is being displayed.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good news! Took it to the dealer and they found that the rain/fog/whatever sensor had a loose connector. They fully seated it, and no more errors or headlights going into a fail safe “always on” mode. No idea on the HUD, but it’s working fine and I hope it’s related to the rain/fog sensor.

· Registered
2023 CX-50 2.5 Turbo Premium Plus
176 Posts
Good news! Took it to the dealer and they found that the rain/fog/whatever sensor had a loose connector. They fully seated it, and no more errors or headlights going into a fail safe “always on” mode. No idea on the HUD, but it’s working fine and I hope it’s related to the rain/fog sensor.
Good the hear. I'm curious about your statement of "fail-safe always on mode". Can you actually turn off your main headlights when they engage when your switch is in "auto"? I know you can turn off the DRLs in the connect settings permanently and via “off” on the light stick in the daytime, but trying to turn off the main headlights via "off" on the light stick does not turn them off at night. I dug into the manual and it appears it's designed that way. I assume for safety. Curious because I read another post where another owner went through a Christmas light drive-through and couldn't turn off their headlights lights and people got pissed.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ll have to play with it tomorrow sometime but what I remember was the car would turn the headlights on and dim the interior by default when turning the car on no matter if it was bright and sunny, or pitch black out. From there my way of combatting this was toggling the headlights to off and they would stay off (at least I think they were completely off) until I turned the car off and back on again where it would default back to the headlights on. Going to a drive up laser light show next week so that will be the ultimate test!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts